VIC Police to pay $700,000 to S11 riot protesters

News, meet-ups, general questions, emergency services procedures etc

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

imacop

VIC Police to pay $700,000 to S11 riot protesters

Post by imacop »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

The force insists a settlement to end action against hundreds of officers accused of brutality during clashes outside the World Economic Forum in 2000 is appropriate. Protesters spat on police, poured urine on them and and threw ballbearings, marbles, nails, nuts and bolts during violent scuffles. Dozens of anti-globalisation campaigners sued and blamed injuries, including fractures, shock and anxiety, on police action. The protesters sued the state of Victoria and 953 officers who worked at the riot.

This decision is disgusting. The Police now have to pay off thugs so they won't get sued. And I'm sure this is just the start. "Protesters" don't cover their face or bring projectiles to a march.

Dozens of anti-globalisation campaigners sued and blamed injuries, including fractures, shock and anxiety, on police action.
Perhaps its time Police officers sued for damages due to anxiety and depression.
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

I agree, let the police counter claim against the "rent a crowd" who most of these are and see how many are interested in protesting then. I am sure the police get stressed from being spat on, don't know what you might catch, and bruises and injuries from thugs.
Police Union might need to look into that.
Lino

Post by Lino »

What compensation are the Vic police getting from the Goverment and the Protester deserved everything the Police gave them because at the end of the Day its the tax Payers money have to pay these lossssers and a lot of them should get a Job and use there brains if they got any.