Protective Services

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Kinetic
150+ posts
150+ posts

Protective Services

Post by Kinetic »

I have been seeing a number of cars around marked as "Protective Services" with blue and red lights on the light bar

The markings a similar to Police (But more like securforce) and the word police or 000 isn't marked on the car anywhere

Who are these guys??
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Attached to AFP. They mainly look after Federal related security, Airports, Embassies, Govt oofficials etc. You will often see them in between the city and the Airport.
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

You will soon see them in full AFP markings, with the words Australian Federal Police on the side.

They are Protective Service Officers employed by the AFP, they have responsiblity for Federal Government Property as sated above.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Kinetic
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kinetic »

Thanks!
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Several times over the past few days while driving around the city, i have seen a bright red Commodore (or maybe Falcon?) fully marked up as 'Protective Services' complete with a MXLB light bar (i think?). Quite noticable being red :!:
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Hey auntys_eyes,

Yep i've seen it a number of times in East Perth and in the CBD.

It's a fire-engine red BF Falcon, it certainly stands out...

The APS used to have some police-spec VZ's but now they all seem to be Falcons/Futuras, although they do have a VE out at the Airport, i've seen once.

Seen a VZ Crewman (not an SS Luke) with AFP/Police markings today. Had one of those rear canopy things on the back.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

That must have been one I saw when I was in the CBD last... thought it was a FESA car but didn't get a good look at it.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Protective services also have atleast two vz adventras for there k9s. FULL AFP markings and lightbar. They were down albany two weeks ago with the local police.

They flagged me down as they thought that my adventra as one of them.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

The APS cars used to wear a real smart and attractive looking scheme with a grey stripe down the sides and 'PROTECTIVE SERVICE' on both sides, bonnet and rear bumper. The doors also featured the AFP logo.

Now sadly they have gone to these National Police style markings, which just looks bland and boring.

I don't really understand their duties, I know they 'police' the airport but so do some private security firms like Group 4.

Does anyone know what they actually do?

Are they just like glorified security guards who patrol Federal buildings??
Froggles

Post by Froggles »

The provide security for federally owned buildings and provide CTFR, heres what the AFP website says:

Protective Service Officers (PSO) are AFP employees who provide services such as:

* static point guarding
* visitor control
* alarm monitoring and response
* mobile patrols
* security consultancy services
* counter-terrorist first response at major Australian airports; and
* the Commonwealth Government's Air Security Officer (ASO) Program.

Protective Service Officers are located at a number of Commonwealth establishments including Parliament House in Canberra; the residences of the Governor-General and the Prime Minister; foreign embassies and missions in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth; Joint Defence Facilities and at major Australian airports.

Although they have firearms and power of arrest they are both rarely exercised - atleast from what ive heard on other forums. I wouldnt call them glorified security guards, more 'beefed up' security guards :P

I think the high-vis profile is a good thing as it is a deterrent for most people, especially when they see AFP markings and dont know what these PS guys do.

Cheers,
Froggles
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

WARSUG Public Transport Moderator
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

If your ever on Canning Highway near Preston Point road you will see a few Protective Services cars partolling around Attadale..

This is because they are Hhired by the City of Melville to patrol this suburb... a lot like Chubb security or what not..

At first i thought it was like witness relocation or something.. but i thought thats stupid as the cars stick out like pinocchios nose.
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

Melville don't use APS for security. Melville have their own security service which also looks out for Cockburn. APS were probably checking on a MP's office or private residence up that way. Happens often.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Residents asked for this.. Higher council rates pay for this service. You wont see the Melville CCS cars in Attadale.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

donks wrote:Residents asked for this.. Higher council rates pay for this service. You wont see the Melville CCS cars in Attadale.

ah yeah u will i used to work for them it still comes under the city of melville