Main Roads Highway Emergency Response Ops to have Priority 2

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Do HERO's need Priority 2?

Yes
47%
NO
53%

Total votes: 53

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Main Roads Highway Emergency Response Ops to have Priority 2

Post by Tyranus »

Yeah I think the vehicles are out and about still but as mentioned they've only got orange beacons these days. Wow I thought we'd gone back a bit with you being based in EP there Daz, didn't realise the thread was THAT old! But sweet photos anyway.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Roger, how time flies!!!

I heard the TOC was no longer doing these duties due to insurance and safety reasons and like everything else, the duties have been punted back to the Police to carry out.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Post by AVBFS »

"Drive Vehicles Under Operational Conditions" PUAVEH 001A

is offered to FESA firefighters and to my knowledge is required to be completed before driving under emergency con. by fesa rules
:mrgreen:
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

AVBFS wrote:"Drive Vehicles Under Operational Conditions" PUAVEH 001A

is offered to FESA firefighters and to my knowledge is required to be completed before driving under emergency con. by fesa rules
FRS perhaps (WPXZBP?). FESA can't place restrictions on what BFB's etc can do, as they don't own them and the Road Traffic Code has no such requirement. Probably wrong place for this.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Fastlane wrote:
AVBFS wrote:"Drive Vehicles Under Operational Conditions" PUAVEH 001A

FRS perhaps (WPXZBP?). FESA can't place restrictions on what BFB's etc can do, as they don't own them and the Road Traffic Code has no such requirement. Probably wrong place for this.
Yes and no. Although FESA technically have no "direct" power over a BFB, they can (and do at times) can place alot of pressure to get what they want. Ignoring this I would strongly recomend that anyone wishing to drive a fire appliance under emergency conditions that they complete the appropriate competicies. If anything else, it will give you an understanding of the Road Traffic Act, and in particuliar sections which relate to driving under emergency conditions. The Road Traffic Act does place limitiations aas to when you can drive under emergency conditions, and has limitations as to what rules you may be excempt from.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I am pretty sure a HERO Patrol would not fall under the definition of a Fire Appliance and thus would not give a hoot what FESA thought.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

However the quoted competency is as I'm sure many of you are aware a national unit of competency which can be trained by anyone authorised to train it. Thus all HERO drivers may in fact be required to have it. I know for instance someone who had to do it while working on a mine site. The fact that it's from the Public Safety training package only indicates that it is mainly intended for the Public Safety Sector and they have the main control of any changes.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
pillie123

Re: Priority 2

Post by pillie123 »

[quote="Aztech"]"So If Hero's get to use Light's and Sirens"
Why cant Tow Trucks that are responding to accidents?

towies are only responding to take away a undrivable/unroadworthy veichle they do help at the scene but they do not respond to help there for they would just become another hazards...
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Main Roads Highway Emergency Response Ops to have Priori

Post by nachoman »

What ever happened to the HERO vehicles? It is crazy that a single broken down vehicle on the northbound Kwinana Freeway near Mill Point Rd can cause such traffic chaos as this morning.

MRWA traffic conditions site state the vehicle was there at 06:55 and not cleared until 08:10
http://standards.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR ... ions.asp?7
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

nachoman wrote:What ever happened to the HERO vehicles? It is crazy that a single broken down vehicle on the northbound Kwinana Freeway near Mill Point Rd can cause such traffic chaos as this morning.

MRWA traffic conditions site state the vehicle was there at 06:55 and not cleared until 08:10
http://standards.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR ... ions.asp?7
Last I heard, they got scrapped. Due to funding possibly?

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Is this a broken down vehicle lane one before the bridge after Mill Point?

It may be, the traffic report starting from after 6AM has the same location. I came across that car LAST NIGHT half in lane one with vehicles swerving at speed to avoid it. I called a towie, the driver refused to be towed and called Police unknown of the outcome.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I called a towie
Nice thinking Yorky, but if your not the 'owner' of the vehicle they won't touch it with a barge pole. However, if its causing an obstruction [visual and or physical] ring the Main Roads Fault line 1800 800 009 they have the authority to impound and remove vehicles.

*edit* sorry read that wrong Yorky. Unfortunately there are quite a few drivers out there on the road that they think are the king. Only thing to suggest is ring Police Comms / and or Main Roads.
I've closed the door!
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

can someone explain what are the conditions that allow the various "priority" codes and what is allowed under each level in relation to driving.

coming from an FRS back ground there is only really normal road and emergency conditions and no half measures except at the drivers or officers discresion
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

new Main Roads Incident Response vehicles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tci899srMrA
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Kempa wrote:can someone explain what are the conditions that allow the various "priority" codes and what is allowed under each level in relation to driving.

coming from an FRS back ground there is only really normal road and emergency conditions and no half measures except at the drivers or officers discresion
Priority is based on the urgency for someone to get somewhere. I cannot find the specific regulations from MRWA so im going to go off the top of my head.

Police Fire and Ambos are all Priority one vehicles, they have red and blue lights, this is for life threatening emergencies.

Western Power have priority 2, they have red lights only, they also have a siren, and SES also have red only.

Priority 3 and 4 I may have round the wrong way but i'll give it a stab, one is marone lights, like the transport inspectors, they have the authority to pull you over, and the other is Amber lights, Oversized loads ect, what is interesting is, that the amber lights are supposed to be removed when not in use, but who does that?

This is of course a MRWA thing, what SJA, WAPOL and DFES have for priority driving is their own internal set up.

As you know DFES has Fire call and normal road, and that about sums up DFES.

WAPOL and SJA have Priorities based on the urgency of the call, and each agency priority is different, at SJA Priority 1 is the only lights and sirens priority, P2 and P3 and P4 are all levels below that, a P4 is normally a hospital transfer, a P2 may be a broken leg where there is no risk to life but there is some urgency, each type has a specific time in which the call must be attended to.

In WAPOL land P1 and P2 are lights and sirens, who can drive P2 may not be able to drive P1 and the level of what they can do is different, most officers can drive P2, but only certain officers can drive P1, P1 has to be authorised from Comms.