FESA FREQUENCIES PLEASE FOR A VERY CONFUSED LISTENER

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

skydancer
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-840; Yaesu VX5R; Degen DE1103; Uniden UBC120XLT

FESA FREQUENCIES PLEASE FOR A VERY CONFUSED LISTENER

Post by skydancer »

As an ex-VK6 operator and ex-recreational pilot, now uncomfortably close to age 80, I am utterly confused by scanner talk, especially in my attempts to find FESA frequencies, which to me, seems chaotic with hundreds of frequencies in low VHF, high VHF, and UHF. In the interest of safety airband communications are and have to be simple, understood by all.

Many posts re. FESA seem to be from FESA volunteers or pros and I have no idea what they are on about. They talk about locating a service on Channel 'x' - what is Channel 'x' and what is the frequency?

I live in bushfire prone Greenmount and only wish to monitor FESA activity when at risk. Also the firebombers - what frequencies, please? It may be interesting to listen to the TV reporters reporting from a helicopter if anyone knows what frequencies they use.

Let's pray for a safe summer - it's shaping up to be a scorcher.

- Gayle
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Re: FESA FREQUENCIES PLEASE FOR A VERY CONFUSED LISTENER

Post by pacestick »

currently FESA are going through a lengthy change over from VHF low To VHF High Thats why it would be a bit confusing.

Green-mount area you should be able to pick up 6IP on channel 25 VHF Low or 58 I think its aswell, I am unsure of the Local BFB chn.

There is another thread with the different frequencys for low band and where the repeater is located.

Sorry If this wasnt any help.
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Hi Gayle,

The new (VHF high) frequencies and repeaters for FESA are listed here -
http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/warsug/freq ... 202008.pdf
In Greenmount, Red Hill might be your best bet, but I'm uncertain as to its operational status.

The old (VHF low) frequencies are still being used and are listed in this doc - the channels in Greenmount you'll be interested in are 24 and 25 (6IP), 50 (air recce), 57 and 58 (also 6IP), 9 (DEC Mundaring), and 46, 47, 48 and 49 for simplex operations between fire crews if the fire is close to you.

http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/warsug/freq ... /FESA.html

Hope that helps!
Meg

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

in the 70mhz raznge, try ch 25 for 6ip/6ar (same operator/channel) as for the mundaring shire which is where your located ch 34 is the local channel. When i get onto my computer i will pm you with what info you need.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Hi Gayle. I too live in Greenmount and am a BFB member. The frequencies you have asked for and that i use are as follows:

6AR/6IP (FESA ComCen)-
ch 57 = 78.125 (along the face of the scarp)
ch 25 = 78.350 (up over the scarp)

Both of these work fine for Greenmount, but the new WAERN (WA Emergency Radio Network) ch 306 = 163.250, transmitting from Red Hill, provides a stronger and clearer signal. This is my primary frequecy for monitoring FESA.

Air Operations (fixed wing water bombers and helitacs) primarily operate on ch 23 = 78.325.

The main operations channel for the district is ch 34 = 78.460.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!