Transperth Security and Transit Officers

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Transperth Security and Transit Officers

Post by woobla1 »

Thankyou for the reply. I will have a look at them next time I am at the station. It surely is confusing. So if I need some help, because someone is harassing me, will they do anything? would they even call the real transit police/officers.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

woobla1 wrote:I will have a look at them next time I am at the station. It surely is confusing. So if I need some help, because someone is harassing me, will they do anything? would they even call the real transit police/officers.
If they are Revenue Protection that is all they can do.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by singkenten »

They CAN do plenty... they CHOOSE not too...
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

singkenten wrote:They CAN do plenty... they CHOOSE not too...
What can they do? Write tickets out and provide first aid until help arrives via their PPE?
I've closed the door!
singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by singkenten »

They can...
Detain a person who they reasonabley suspect has committed an offence
Defend themselves against injury or death
Defend another against injury or death
Prevent damage to property

Among others, but unless I was to re-read the relevant legislation, i'll play it safe with those 4. Obviously as revenue protection officers you would be more 'careful' in how you utilised those powers, compared to a constable or special constable.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Fair enough...

Anyone can defend themselves again injury or death using reasonable force that is deemed nessary.
I've closed the door!
grizzla

Post by grizzla »

The Revenue Protection guys can observe and report ONLY when it comes to anything other than a ticketing offence. They cannot legally detain anybody. Yes they can defend themselves against injury or death (wouldn't you?). They may defend another against injury or death however policy says they cannot. They can only observe and report in regards to the damage of property. All they do is observe, report, and check tickets folks...and yes they have the authority to obtain your name, address and date of birth.
Basically if you're in trouble they can radio Transit Officers for you. Don't expect too much from them in regards to 'physically' assisting you. However I know a few will do the righty by you if it came down to it.
Most Transit Officers wear the orange vests especially at night so look out for those.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

They cannot legally detain anybody
This statement is incorrect, anyone has the powers to detain anyone.

You may place a customer under citizen's arrest if you believe on reasonable grounds they have committed an offence punishable by imprisonment or are in the course of committing such an offence.

Reasonable grounds means that you have direct evidence that 'constitutes belief' that the customer has committed an offence. An obvious example of 'reasonable grounds' would be if you were to actually see a customer take an item from a store shelf, put it into their pocket and then walk out of the store with that item, thus indicating a clear intention to not pay for it, and therefore steal it.

Suspicion means that you have indirect evidence that the customer has committed an offence. Examples of suspicion include: The theft protection buzzer sounds as someone exits the store; a person has spent an inordinate amount of time browsing and is consciously avoiding assistance.
I've closed the door!
Adz80

Post by Adz80 »

xxx11zzz
Last edited by Adz80 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I would say go with the Revenue Protection Officer job mate, at least that way you'll become familiar with the offences under the PTA Act and Regs and you'll get to know some of the supervisors etc from the Transit Officers Office which may help you down the track.

Don’t worry about the stigma mate, as long as you do your job professionally and know what your powers are then you'll be fine. You will be judged on how you carry out your duties, not the uniform you wear.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Adz80

Post by Adz80 »

thanks mate, I email PTA last night about the Transit Positions and they responded by saying they are not 100% sure but they believe January at this stage...

this is what happened originaly "TRANSIT OFFICER, POSITION NUMBER 30620 TRANSPERTH TRAIN OPERATIONS DIVISION

Thank you for your interest in the above mentioned position.

Unfortunately due to the two recent attacks on bus drivers in Perth and increasing concerns relating to security on the Perth public transport network, the Ministers for Transport and Police yesterday issued a joint media statement addressing security measures on public transport. One of the options suggested was for the transfer of PTA security services across to WA Police. A working group has been formed between the Public Transport Authority and Police to further consider this proposal. As this review may impact on the role and functions of Transit Officers it is not considered appropriate to continue the current recruitment and selection process for this position at this time. Accordingly this process is put on hold until further notice.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time spent in this recruitment process so far and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Damn that sucked I will reapply when readvertised
killer
Amateur callsign: dr
Scanners and Receivers: motorole6680

Post by killer »

Hi I am writing to put this forum to rest in a way....

I am a transperth security officer.
We do have powers, yes we do arrest under citizens act however we have PTA acts we operate under also.
Alot of our guys are really pissed off about this forum you have all been mislead highly.
We are proffessional ok first things first we will definitely not going to be wearing white wilson shirts any time soon thats a fact.
the guy who started this forum is not who he says he is, he is actually an ex guard of ours and now a revenue protection officer.
We are public officers hense why we have the queens crown on our uniform did any of you take the time to look at that.... no u didnt.
We have alot more trouble then transit officers they can not go off their station we deal with our incidents alot of the times on the streets big difference.
Just because we are hired by wilson does not mean we are half-ass security guards. An average person could not take one day of what we deal with.
Do any of you guys even work in the industry its ok to sit on the computer on bag us but lets see if you can do it.That incident mentioned was false we have never had 30 ic3s bash our guards in maddington on a bus.
As for the vests blue checkers are not polices own colour anybody can use them besides we use green.

Any comments or questions please go ahead i will answer them as soon as i can

But remember we do our job to protect you so think before u bag you could very well end up introuble at the bus station yourself and u will rely on us to help you...

Thank you for your time.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

killer wrote:Hi I am writing to put this forum to rest in a way....

I am a transperth security officer.
Welcome!
the guy who started this forum is not who he says he is, he is actually an ex guard of ours and now a revenue protection officer.
I'm sorry but that statement is categorically false. The founder(s) of this forum have never had anything to do with public transport in any shape or form. Whoever told you otherwise is feeding you a line. If you mean the person who started this particular discussion thread, then you may or may not be correct. I don't know anything about that person.
Alot of our guys are really pissed off about this forum you have all been mislead highly.
The internet is full of opinions - a lot of them are "out there". However it is a discussion forum, not an encyclopedia. Which means anyone can add their opinion to the discussion, or they can choose not to read the thread or site if it distresses them too much.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

killer wrote:We are public officers hense why we have the queens crown on our uniform did any of you take the time to look at that.... no u didnt.
A crown on your uniform has nothing to do with the definition of a 'public officer'. The term is defined in the Criminal Code. Ignorance is no excuse if you're going to throw around the term.
The term public officer means any of the following —
(a) a police officer;
(aa) a Minister of the Crown;
(ab) a Parliamentary Secretary appointed under section 44A of the Constitution Acts Amendment Act 1899;
(ac) a member of either House of Parliament;
(ad) a person exercising authority under a written law;
(b) a person authorised under a written law to execute or serve any process of a court or tribunal;
(c) a public service officer or employee within the meaning of the Public Sector Management Act 1994;
(ca) a person who holds a permit to do high-level security work as defined in the Court Security and Custodial Services Act 1999;
(cb) a person who holds a permit to do high-level security work as defined in the Prisons Act 1981;
(d) a member, officer or employee of any authority, board, corporation, commission, local government, council of a local government, council or committee or similar body
established under a written law;
(e) any other person holding office under, or employed by, the State of Western Australia, whether for remuneration or not;
You might fall under the hilighted section, but only while acting within the bounds of that authority. If its checking tickets, then as soon as you do anything beyond that, you're on your own..
singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by singkenten »

Sorry Fastlane but they are considered a public officer whilst they a performing a function of their 'office'. So while they are checking tickets, intervening in a disorderly incident, on patrol, etc, etc, they are considered a public officer. The legal definition of a public officer is applied to Transit guards (both train and bus) in the same way it is applied to Police. If a police officer is at maccas getting lunch and someone was to randomly walk up and hit them in the back of the head it would be a charge of common assault and not assault public officer as the Police officer was not performing a function of his office at the time...