Career Opportunity with St. Johns

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Career Opportunity with St. Johns

Post by 4353 »

AO11912 wrote:SJA do look at Volunteer work, if you become a Volunteer Ambulance officer and work in places like Mandurah, along side paramedics, you get to see the action up front, However mandurah is alot of shipping old people about the place.
Being a paramedic is about Patient care regardless off age, sex or race.

Getting up at 3am to do a transfer from peel to freo for an oldie deserves the same level off your care as racing out to a P1 action call for a car v car head on in dawesville.
RIP
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

canon wrote:At the end of the day SJA are still a private company ...
I don't believe that is correct.

I think you will find that SJA is in fact not a private company, that they are a charitable organisation and a public benevolent institution.

If you believe something to the contrary, I'm curious as to what makes you think so.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

SJA is not for profit hence why they collect govt funding/grants to run the service then bill ie: patients/health dept etc.

The board would need to be made up off members who did not in anyway have there hand in pocket off anyone they were involved in for contracts unless it was disclosed prior.

A private company would be ie: ams or alas or first intervention.
RIP
futureparamedic

Post by futureparamedic »

Oh dear!! . I think inadvertently I have started an argument, some may have got lost in minor detail along the way. [-X

After talking to my cousin advised me that SJA are a great organization to be a part off...

He is under the impression that they are also paid the highest amongst the states and receive many employee benefits.

So thanks to all who have voted already. So far SJA are winning on the poll which is where my favor is. :mrgreen:

Both me and cousin are trying out for the intake coming up this May wish us both luck..

Thanks all for your input.. :D

With credit to AO and Claire for all their excellent Tips and Information.
helimedic
Amateur callsign: VK6EMS

Post by helimedic »

90% of ambo work throughout WA involves "shipping old people around".

Mod edit : By all means make your point but inflammatory comments directed at individual members are not welcome here.
futureparamedic

helimedic wrote:90% of ambo work throughout WA involves "shipping old people around"
Are you a Helimedic in WA? , I know HEMS in the UK they are crewed by Doctors, Paramedics / Nurses is it similar?

Very true the majority of Ambulance work is Patient Transport of Senior Citizens with medical, trauma or nursing home return. I'm sure this applies to most Ambulance Services around the world. Each call no matter the Priority should be treated with professionalism. All of us forum users will age and expect the same respect in our later years. Whether a P1 to P3. Mind you me personally id like a mix of calls. After all, you get very tired if you were doing P1's all day so Patient Transport would be welcoming and plus you learn a thing or two from those wise senior citizens you are transporting. After all they been there done that before most of us were born..

I'm sure AO11912 was not being disrespectful helimedic, i think AO was pointing out that fact its not all Two's and Blues which is similar to your statement above. :smt045
claire

Post by claire »

Good luck with your application futureparamedic!

Be prepared for a long process! Just believe in yourself and the attributes you would bring to the job and hopefully that will come through in the interviews. You're welcome to PM me if you have any other questions.
futureparamedic

Thanks a million Claire, all the best with your career :wink:
futureparamedic

Hi all,

Does anyone know the frequency of the SJA Ambulance in Beckingham / Cannington.

Thanks
Paraman

Post by Paraman »

futureparamedic wrote:Hi *waves*

As I'm sure you can figure out based on my avatar I am interested in becoming a paramedic with St John Ambulance WA. I have looked over the recruitment brochure and I noticed it mentioned a Psychometric Test. Has anyone undertaken a St John Ambulance Student Ambulance Officer Psychometric test before :?: If you have can you advise what they are testing ie: Numeracy, Literacy, Problem Solving or is it more Character Traits and Psychological Attributes.

Also does anyone know what the Scanner Frequencies for Kalamunda Perth for SJA:?:

:smt023

The psychometric testing involves those stupid questions that ask things like 'Shooting animals is disturbing', with answers from strongly disagree to strongly agree. You (theoretically) cant study for it, and if you try to give the answer you think they want, it is apparently very obvious, the advice is to be truthful.

Someone asked about the fitness test, it is essentially a gym fitness test with weights thrown in. The tricky part is no-one knows what the minimum is, and the people on the day wont tell you (not that it helps much then anyway). Best advice is be active, stretch, and be able to carry heavy things around comfortably. Stretching was something a few people got caught on, you have to be able to reach to your toes minimum.

I think thats enough info for now, pm me if you want more. Oh, Claire, well done in MH and good luck for the exam!

p.s. finding a site like this is a major accomplishment, most people wouldnt get this far!
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Paraman wrote:
futureparamedic wrote:Hi *waves*

As I'm sure you can figure out based on my avatar I am interested in becoming a paramedic with St John Ambulance WA. I have looked over the recruitment brochure and I noticed it mentioned a Psychometric Test. Has anyone undertaken a St John Ambulance Student Ambulance Officer Psychometric test before :?: If you have can you advise what they are testing ie: Numeracy, Literacy, Problem Solving or is it more Character Traits and Psychological Attributes.

Also does anyone know what the Scanner Frequencies for Kalamunda Perth for SJA:?:

:smt023

you will also find with the psych testing that there will be questions that are written differently but mean the same thing. Its a common gimmick to see if you are answering truthfully or should i say consistently.

regards and good luck :)
gcs of 3
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

I believe SJA are recruiting again, I think Comms is closed, but SAO's and PTO's may still be open
Jeanie
Amateur callsign: yes
Scanners and Receivers: Whistler Handheld Digital Scanner Radio.

Post by Jeanie »

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.