Career Opportunity with St. Johns

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

congrats to bomber and others who was doing the disaster exercise today they did a fairly good job especially bomber who looked like a chicken with its head chopped off at one point :P
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Hi,

Im submitting my application this week for next years intake. Can anyone offer any advice on the process or what they look for in the applications?

Cheers :)
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: Career Opportunity with St. Johns

Post by Infernal »

Sonic, how did you go with your application to SJA

Mine was Unsecsessful
futureparamedic

Post by futureparamedic »

Hi *waves*

As I'm sure you can figure out based on my avatar I am interested in becoming a paramedic with St John Ambulance WA. I have looked over the recruitment brochure and I noticed it mentioned a Psychometric Test. Has anyone undertaken a St John Ambulance Student Ambulance Officer Psychometric test before :?: If you have can you advise what they are testing ie: Numeracy, Literacy, Problem Solving or is it more Character Traits and Psychological Attributes.

Also does anyone know what the Scanner Frequencies for Kalamunda Perth for SJA:?:

:smt023
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Hi futureparamedic, Welcome to the forum. I think the best SJA frequency for you in Kalamunda would be 412.4750MHz. You will find there are a few past and present employees of SJA that frequent the boards so hopefully one of them can answer your questions. In the meantime I would suggest you read the old posts here as a lot of the information you might be seeking has probably bobbed up in discussions already. Good luck with your endeavours.
futureparamedic

Hi Always Rx,

Thanks for the info :wink:
claire

Post by claire »

Hi futureparamedic, i did the SJA test last October and it actually involved all the tests you mention - maths, english, and two different psych tests. The psych tests were both paper based - ie there wasn't any interview.
futureparamedic

I thought it maybe most organization these days rely on Psychometric and Aptitude Testing. I best start preparing for it.

I have more questions:

The Physical Assessment do you know what type of testing they are using ie: The Beep Test. :?:

Also the interview is this conducted by Human Resources or a Panel of Paramedics and or ECU. :?:

Does SJA accept UK Citizens :?: I know this is a touchy subject with the recession and all however Aussies are our Neighbors when Globe Trotting :smt058

Very interested to know the details so I can prepare myself :smt102 as I have been advised its extremely competitive process

Thanks everyone so far for the info..

One more question is it a good idea to Volunteer with SJA or do HR not really look at this aspect when selecting :?:

Cheerio !
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

futureparamedic wrote:I thought it maybe most organization these days rely on Psychometric and Aptitude Testing. I best start preparing for it.

I have more questions:

The Physical Assessment do you know what type of testing they are using ie: The Beep Test. :?:

Also the interview is this conducted by Human Resources or a Panel of Paramedics and or ECU. :?:

Does SJA accept UK Citizens :?: I know this is a touchy subject with the recession and all however Aussies are our Neighbors when Globe Trotting :smt058

Very interested to know the details so I can prepare myself :smt102 as I have been advised its extremely competitive process

Thanks everyone so far for the info..

One more question is it a good idea to Volunteer with SJA or do HR not really look at this aspect when selecting :?:

Cheerio !
better off applying over east and working there lol. Pm me if you have any questions
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

Long way to go just to get a job :P but i guess on the UPSIDE at least you get a 100% fair application in the door and less time trying to get qualified.

Is it still 6 years to get to "Paramedic Status"
RIP
claire

Post by claire »

The physical assessment doesn't include a beep test - its not full on like the police testing. It is actually called a functional capacity test with the idea being that they are testing your ability to perform the tasks involved in the job, so the exercises should be no harder than what you would need to do in a days work. I think you could be of 'average' fitness and pass the test. From memory, some of the things I had to do were - 10 push ups, 5 full sit ups (not crunches), sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and touch your toes, some squats and lunges.

My interview was conducted by two people - one from operations (ex-paramedic) and one from HR.

I'm not sure about UK citizens but I know you need to be a Australian permanent resident.

I think it would be good if you have done some volunteer work, but doesn't necessarily have to be with SJA. There are a few people in this years intake who have SJA volly experience but then again there are people like me who have no medical background/experience.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

SJA do look at Volunteer work, if you become a Volunteer Ambulance officer and work in places like Mandurah, along side paramedics, you get to see the action up front, However mandurah is alot of shipping old people about the place.

Also the qualifications you get becoming a Volunteer Ambulance Officer, will be looked at when you do your degree with the university, and will come under recognition of prior learning, which in turn will save you money because you dont have to pay for the courses you have already passed at UNI.

Enrollments for ambulance officers start in June/July, look out on the St John Web Site as they hold a information session a few weeks into the application period, you can ask questions there.

As well as Student Ambulance Officer Recruitment they also conduct recruitment for Communications officers and Ambulance Transport Officers at the same time, Comms officers are the first cab of the rank when it comes to processing applications, i applied for this last year and had a phone call with in a week asking me to the assesment center, you should not expect to hear any thing back from SJA in till they have finished processing Comms officers and ATO's, they say around November, you should know if you have been successful or not, SJA do not give out information regarding your application, trust me i tried they dont like you ringing up and just give you the same old story, "we are still in the process of looking at applications"

All the questions can be answered at the information session once applications for the 2010 in take open, bear in mind that SJA WA is one of the hardest ones to get into because not only do you have to gain a job with SJA, and impress the HR department, but you also have to be accepted into university.

It is only a 4 year course in WA before you gain the title of "PARAMEDIC" the first year us unpaid full time study at ECU, followed by 2 years of Paid training and on road Duties at Belmont, then the final year is the internship working on the road, before becoming a paramedic.

I agree with Cannon, NSW ambulance is alot easier as NSW ambulance do all the training, and is not done at university, and you get paid
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

AO11912 wrote:SJA do look at Volunteer work, if you become a Volunteer Ambulance officer and work in places like Mandurah, along side paramedics, you get to see the action up front, However mandurah is alot of shipping old people about the place.

Also the qualifications you get becoming a Volunteer Ambulance Officer, will be looked at when you do your degree with the university, and will come under recognition of prior learning, which in turn will save you money because you dont have to pay for the courses you have already passed at UNI.

Enrollments for ambulance officers start in June/July, look out on the St John Web Site as they hold a information session a few weeks into the application period, you can ask questions there.

As well as Student Ambulance Officer Recruitment they also conduct recruitment for Communications officers and Ambulance Transport Officers at the same time, Comms officers are the first cab of the rank when it comes to processing applications, i applied for this last year and had a phone call with in a week asking me to the assesment center, you should not expect to hear any thing back from SJA in till they have finished processing Comms officers and ATO's, they say around November, you should know if you have been successful or not, SJA do not give out information regarding your application, trust me i tried they dont like you ringing up and just give you the same old story, "we are still in the process of looking at applications"

All the questions can be answered at the information session once applications for the 2010 in take open, bear in mind that SJA WA is one of the hardest ones to get into because not only do you have to gain a job with SJA, and impress the HR department, but you also have to be accepted into university.

It is only a 4 year course in WA before you gain the title of "PARAMEDIC" the first year us unpaid full time study at ECU, followed by 2 years of Paid training and on road Duties at Belmont, then the final year is the internship working on the road, before becoming a paramedic.

I agree with Cannon, NSW ambulance is alot easier as NSW ambulance do all the training, and is not done at university, and you get paid
I think you got me wrong their AO. University studies are a must but maintaining your skills and applying them is just as important. WA is about 10 years behind some of the eastern states but in saying that some improvements are and have been made. I still feel somewhat perplexed that a chopper paramedic can use all his skills and greater access to essential pre-hospital drugs however once on road cant use some of these skills and nescessary pre-hospital drugs. Question Do SJA paras on road carry morph yet?
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
futureparamedic

canon wrote: better off applying over east and working there lol. Pm me if you have any questions
Hi Canon,

I think your advise is noteworthy. I recently caught up with a X NHS Paramedic ( Long Term Friend of mine) now a SJA Paramedic whom has taken a offer interstate and is leaving the WA Ambulance Service. What they had to say about SJA was not commendable at all and they felt they were treated poorly. For a not for profit charitable organization this came as a surprise.

Further more some of his other fellow Paramedics whom came along for a pick me up (cup of coffee) seemed to have similar things to say. All advised me to look towards NSW or QLD.

This does concern me as employee opinion moral most often reflects a true picture of a organization. Before striking SJA of my list as a potential employer and looking else where in AUS I have setup a poll to see if I can get a more accurate picture. So please have your say :-"
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

futureparamedic wrote:
canon wrote: better off applying over east and working there lol. Pm me if you have any questions
Hi Canon,

I think your advise is noteworthy. I recently caught up with a X NHS Paramedic ( Long Term Friend of mine) now a SJA Paramedic whom has taken a offer interstate and is leaving the WA Ambulance Service. What they had to say about SJA was not commendable at all and they felt they were treated poorly. For a not for profit charitable organization this came as a surprise.

Further more some of his other fellow Paramedics whom came along for a pick me up (cup of coffee) seemed to have similar things to say. All advised me to look towards NSW or QLD.

This does concern me as employee opinion moral most often reflects a true picture of a organization. Before striking SJA of my list as a potential employer and looking else where in AUS I have setup a poll to see if I can get a more accurate picture. So please have your say :-"
The only part that is not for profit is the emergency side of things in which the government subsidise. SJA make a killing off their training, vollies at events, medics on the mines in which i must say are the lowest paid mine medics compared to other providers, patient transfer and the list goes on. At the end of the day SJA are still a private company and is run just like any other business.