Pre-Hospital Questions & Resources

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

like george said (i checked tonight) we have to do 30:2 across the board weather its child baby or adult
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Just using a reference guide to Skills Manual for CPR published last year - CPR for Adult/Child Resuss - Paramedic

ADULT: 30 compressions (100/min) followed by 2 ventilations (one cycle)

CHILD: 15 Compressions (100/min) followed by 2 ventilations (one cycle)

Reference: Skill 405

Im pretty sure the 15 comps for children is debatable - But as a Vollie First Aider its 30:2 for both...
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

PFO wrote:
Ambul8 wrote:
gkoutlis wrote:30:2 - Is the standard SJA are putting out - Regardless whether its a child, infant or an adult..... Its all the same - 30:2 - HOWEVER, compressions for an infant is done by using 2 fingers only and going a third of the depth of their body as they are still fragile...
yep, thats the rate they are teaching in first aid and for VFAS. But I believe the original question from PFO was more centered to the Ambulance Service.
munchkin1981 wrote:15:2 is what we get taught for kids and secoundly i aint in uni i just a voly
There is a distinct difference between Neonates, Infants and Paediatrics
ambul8 is correct in this last statement but my question still hasnot been answered. As a volly working on road who dont have als
or an IP who dont have als what ratios are they working with, bearing in mind
what sja are teaching, How about patient transport?

There seems to be a few varying statements here, the arc guidelines are quite clear. Ambul8 states all ambos use 15-1 yet not all ambos are als trained? Are you als trained ambul8 ? or has the point im getting at been lost lol :D
Yeah, the rates I showed there come from SJA Skills Manual and are specific for the Ambulance Service.

As I said, ALS is inaddition to CPR when a Paramedic is available, the rates do not change - only the drugs, airway management and defib's.

I hold current ALS, PHTLS and ACLS quals. On our mine we do 30:2 plus ALS interventions where indicated. No sedation untill we have consulted.
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

whatdid u think of the ALS course. did u do it in WA? at CTEC?
gcs of 3
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

PFO wrote:whatdid u think of the ALS course. did u do it in WA? at CTEC?
it was very centred around hospital arrest team, as opposed to single or two person responder with environmental variables.

But it focussed not only on arrest but pre-arrest phase (ie how to tell that your Pt is not so flash and may arrest).

There is rumblings of a PHTLS course in Perth soon, but will have to wait for details.

CTEC's cannualtion and venipuncture courses are good too.

The RFDS also do a good course - Medical Care for Shipmasters, which is a good remote equivilant
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

Hi Ambul8,

take a look at the Australasian Registry or EMTs http://www.aremt.com.au/ not sure when or where the courses would be run, though it could be a good alternative..
musketeer

Ambul8

Post by musketeer »

Gidday, hope by now that you are aware of the two PHTLS courses in Perth in September. Need more.....? PM me
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Brain Teaser

Post by Kyle »

Brain Teaser

Question: Which is more likely to increase the success rate of a resuscitation being Hypothermic or Hyperthermic.. :idea:

Provide explanation for your answers

I know the correct answer... however let see if you know your stuff.. ready set GO!!!

Don't be shy..
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.