Pre-Hospital Questions & Resources

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="musketeer"]Neither obese nor a piss tank. Athletic build, (quite nice actually) I didn't say that :oops: Yea I did think TIA and gave him a quick stroke test but inconclusive. Handballed to hospital cause I like covering my bum!![/quote] handballs are great, they should be knighted and called sir handball and given the respect that the handball deserves :lol: :lol:
gcs of 3
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

musketeer wrote:Handballed to hospital cause I like covering my bum!!
Nothing less than the right call, especially if there is any amount of doubt, no matter how small.

Remember the golden rule: IF IN DOUBT, SHIP EM OUT!!!!!

On a side note, we are getting some bedside trop test kits for work. Bloody expensive.
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Q: Preferred method off intubation ? ET Tube or laryngeal mask

Minesite cowboys ? How do you spot one !!!
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="Markmywords"]Q: Preferred method off intubation ? ET Tube or laryngeal mask

Minesite cowboys ? How do you spot one !!![/quote] ETT for me, LMA pre-hospital i have concerns with. Many patients who require airway maintenance have an increased risk of aspirating especially with shock and cardiac patients that go into trismus. Have to be pretty quick if that occurs lol. At the end of the day,whatever skill level. OPA BVM, ETT as per protocol, if on a minesite perhaps Combi as long as criteria is met. I dont know if SJA carry them or not. Used to carry them with ALAS just before rfds finished, but for me i would keep them for patients in theatre who have been fasting and at a reduced risk of aspiration.

Minesite cowboys.......Hhhmmm let me see.......... ah...... 1) all talk and 2) Paperwork ( lack of and poor quality handovers ) Shell be right mate ill treat the machine and not the patient lol. and to save the best for last " ill just keep sticking him with this 23g butterfly until i get a vein" :lol: :lol: :lol: same butterfly :roll:
Last edited by PFO on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gcs of 3
Para

ET or LMA

Post by Para »

I prefer ET intubation - protects the airway from aspiration and provides an additional drug route.

The use of an LMA is extremely limited, its merely an "internal" face mask, really dont like its use prehospital, unless there is a failed intubation I wouldn't use it. Really it only rests your other hand by providing constant face seal.
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

Markmywords wrote:Q: Preferred method off intubation ? ET Tube or laryngeal mask

Minesite cowboys ? How do you spot one !!!
ET, carry LMA for failed intubation drill.

Spot? Its hard to spot anything when ur drunk.... :P

yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
musketeer

ETT?LMA

Post by musketeer »

ETT if trained and authorized to do so.

Now where did I hear that!!!!
musketeer

Ambul8

Post by musketeer »

"On a side note, we are getting some bedside trop test kits for work. Bloody expensive"quote
How expensive, and how often do you think you would be called upon to use one!!
Not very often, in my experience, as it is usually used for prolonged chest pain(cardiac origin) of more than a day at least. I would hope we ship 'em out before that!!!
Just a thought, are you that remote?
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

If in doubt ship them out:

Which one you use more

local ambos/rfds or transfer yourself
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

scenario

mid 20's female comes to you with ankle/leg pain had for past 2 days getting progressive worse swelling bruising pain goes up the outside of the leg when weight is applied ice make pain worse ..........
what would any of you suggest
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

munchkin1981 wrote:scenario

mid 20's female comes to you with ankle/leg pain had for past 2 days getting progressive worse swelling bruising pain goes up the outside of the leg when weight is applied ice make pain worse ..........

Three weeks in the stirrups.
jasonjag
Banned

Pain

Post by jasonjag »

Toottoot wrote:
munchkin1981 wrote:scenario

Three weeks in the stirrups.
I use wheat heat bags for pain treatment, wrapped in woolen tea towel, use crutches to take weight of joint,need to see a orthopedic surgeon, Peter Honey is the best.. 94812856
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="munchkin1981"]scenario

what would any of you suggest[/quote] Is there a mechanism of injury.
CWMS? . any xrays, scans done?when ice is applied very common for pain to increase with fractures and dvts. is leg hot to touch and skin colour distally in comparison to other limb. does pain increase on dorsi or plantar flexion?
gcs of 3
musketeer

22 year old female

Post by musketeer »

Are the distal pulses bilateraly similar?
Is the pain when weight goes on or comes off?
Is there any altered sensation between legs?
Has she just flown or had a long car journey?
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

is she obese, small, any pmhx.
gcs of 3