New ambulance siren

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="padfoot"]Ambulances are allowed to travel priority 1 without sirens as these do affect some patients eg heart complaints.

I am sure this was clarified earlier by Kyle???[/quote] i think u will find that if you read those posts you would have picked out that it is technically
illegal to do so but at night it is common practice dependent on traffic conditions and patient condition
gcs of 3
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

i think u will find that if you read those posts you would have picked out that it is technically
illegal to do so but at night it is common practice dependent on traffic conditions and patient condition[/quote]

i understand all that. we have been told at fire brigade meetings that when you are traveling with the emergency lights on you must have the siren going as well unless you were on the fire ground or investigating a code 44. obviously common sense will prevail when it is 3am and there is no traffic around.
PFO wrote:
padfoot wrote:Ambulances are allowed to travel priority 1 without sirens as these do affect some patients eg heart complaints.

I am sure this was clarified earlier by Kyle???
i have no way of confirming this but when i saw these ambulances it appeared they were turning out to the call not carrying a patient
padfoot

Post by padfoot »

Smithy wrote:i think u will find that if you read those posts you would have picked out that it is technically
illegal to do so but at night it is common practice dependent on traffic conditions and patient condition
i understand all that. we have been told at fire brigade meetings that when you are traveling with the emergency lights on you must have the siren going as well unless you were on the fire ground or investigating a code 44. obviously common sense will prevail when it is 3am and there is no traffic around.
PFO wrote:
padfoot wrote:Ambulances are allowed to travel priority 1 without sirens as these do affect some patients eg heart complaints.

I am sure this was clarified earlier by Kyle???
i have no way of confirming this but when i saw these ambulances it appeared they were turning out to the call not carrying a patient

below is the link to the exemptions to the Australian Road Rules and look specifically at the section for "Exemptions For Drivers of Emergency Vehicles" which states that under circumstances vehicles can travel P1 with lights or sirens only

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulati ... ds/p19.pdf
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

My understanding of the official definition of an "emergency vehicle" is that it must be showing a beacon and/or have an audible warning device.

The ruling about having both is up to your management.

There's no need for a siren going off if we have a call-out at 3am but we will use beacons.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

WPXZBP wrote:My understanding of the official definition of an "emergency vehicle" is that it must be showing a beacon and/or have an audible warning device.

The ruling about having both is up to your management.

There's no need for a siren going off if we have a call-out at 3am but we will use beacons.
yeh thats my understanding aswell. it was the fact that my mum had asked me why the ambulance had no siren going and as i looked up it was well and truly into the intersection by then. just curious
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="padfoot"][quote="Smithy"]i think u will find that if you read those posts you would have picked out that it is technically
illegal to do so but at night it is common practice dependent on traffic conditions and patient condition[/quote]

[quote="PFO"][quote="padfoot"]Ambulances are allowed to travel priority 1 without sirens as these do affect some patients eg heart complaints.

I am sure this was clarified earlier by Kyle???[/quote]

i have no way of confirming this but when i saw these ambulances it appeared they were turning out to the call not carrying a patient[/quote]

below is the link to the exemptions to the Australian Road Rules and look specifically at the section for "Exemptions For Drivers of Emergency Vehicles" which states that under circumstances vehicles can travel P1 with lights or sirens only

[url]http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulati ... ds/p19.pdf[/url][/quote] i humbley stand corrected, cheers padfoot for that info. Do you think it would leave any grey areas if lets say the driver is deaf or they couldnt see the lights of the ambulance during the day, glare etc. Dunno its an interesting law. At the end of the day its the drivers decision to use both or one and his duty of care that counts
gcs of 3
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Further to my post before...

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s281.html

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 281
281 . Exemption for drivers of emergency vehicles (other)

A provision of these regulations does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle that is not being used for official duties by a police officer if —
(a) in the circumstances —
(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and
(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply;
and
(b) the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving and the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.
TK101

Post by TK101 »

Last edited by TK101 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

It looks like that footage was shot in Wandin Valley. Better hope Frank Gilroy doesn't catch them.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Formally ZO100, now KG100 :D
ubc 72xlt...ubc 60xlt...uh015sx