First Job

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Are you an Ambo??

Volly
11%
Paid
17%
VFAS
9%
Industrial
11%
Other
14%
No I'm not.
37%

Total votes: 35

Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

My first 'medical' job (not as a paramedic, but as a nursing student) was down in little old Harvey. It was my very first placement as a student, and wow, what a good one!

Within 2 hours of me starting, we had a single occupant MVA come in via SJA. Car vs tree, and the man had walked miles to the nearest homestead to get help.

Anyhow, injuries were quite extensive, including basal skull fractures, deep lacerations, and god knows what else we couldn't see nor have the facilities there to assess.

What was my job? To help by passing equipment, etc and basically observe. I was asked to get a BSL off the patient, which I attempted to do with gutso :lol: Well, after pricking his toe the 3rd time, I mentioned to my fellow nurse that I can't seem to get any blood out of him! She looked at me, cracked up and proceeded to take the BM machine out of my hands and wipe the strip across the blood oozing from his face.....

Talk about red faced! :oops: But I will never forget that first one, I doubt any of us would no matter what we see as we go along.

Remembering that the victims/families will always remember you and your efforts to help. That is what keeps me going in what I do.
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
trekker

Post by trekker »

rescue10 wrote: Wanneroo Division does not exsiste now HQ closed it down and reopended it in Joondalup.
Sorry to disappoint you Rescue10, but Wanneroo Division does still exist, it just happens to operate out of Joondalup Depot/Training Centre.

At least now everything is one place, instead of training at the Ag Society building, vehicles at the council depot (or people's houses) and divisional/member records split between the Div Supt's house and the 'safe' at the Ag Society building.... :wink:

Things were different back then, but not necessarily better! Not to say things are perfect now, just less cowboy antics!
trekker

Post by trekker »

It wasn't my first job, but it was my most memorable from the early days...

Out at Wanneroo Raceway covering the road bikes, when one of the riders highsided off his bike. As he was still in mid-air another ride passed him on the outside, and his handlebars caught the back of the first riders helmet, ripping the helmet off his head.

So then without a helmet the rider hits the track surface at over 100kmh. When we got to the rider he was conscious, but disoriented and combative.

I saw him at Joondalup Hospital about 2 days later, and he was sitting up in bed talking. If I remember correctly he had a minor frontal HI, pnuemothorax, #clavicle & #scapula as well as some 'cosmetic' injuries to his face.
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

yeah wanneroo does exist it and whats a life like???
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
rescue10

Post by rescue10 »

Trekker,how long ago was that?

I only mist 1 bike event when I was in Darwin.I was at wanneroo from 1982-1995
rescue10

Post by rescue10 »

I know the new wanneroo operates fron Joondalup.A fat guy by the name of daniel and his wife were running it.

Its also been a long time scince Wanneroo attended Barbagallo Raceway
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

rescue10 do these wanneroo guys have there own wambulance ? not operations but the private ambulance mob.

Was with interest wont be much work for alas or anyone else who does the private work now the v8 supercars look like going.

Anyways back ion topic
rescue10

Post by rescue10 »

For the last 10 year V8 Super Cars say they are going.The WA event gets the biggest single event population thus the biggest single event crowed.

The majority of the V8 team sponsors are Perth Based.

The WASCC has two years to get a new contract and CAMS has stated that if WA is dropped V8's will have to drop its National title status.

But as a CAMS Accredited Photographer and the owner of Motor Sports Media this forums not for motor sports.

The Private service is keept busy at Barbagallo as the track is for hire 365 days this year the track has been booked 359 days.

They have two Ambulances with another on its way.

Advanced life have put their prices up so it wont be long before there priced them self out like St Johns.

It would be viable for the WASCC to supply there own Ambulances and Medical team as like WA's other Raceway
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

rescue10 wrote:For the last 10 year V8 Super Cars say they are going.The WA event gets the biggest single event population thus the biggest single event crowed.

The majority of the V8 team sponsors are Perth Based.

The WASCC has two years to get a new contract and CAMS has stated that if WA is dropped V8's will have to drop its National title status.

But as a CAMS Accredited Photographer and the owner of Motor Sports Media this forums not for motor sports.

The Private service is keept busy at Barbagallo as the track is for hire 365 days this year the track has been booked 359 days.

They have two Ambulances with another on its way.

Advanced life have put their prices up so it wont be long before there priced them self out like St Johns.

It would be viable for the WASCC to supply there own Ambulances and Medical team as like WA's other Raceway
Rescue10, do you go to the WASCC 'Drift' events???
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
rescue10

Post by rescue10 »

Yes I do.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

rescue10 wrote:Yes I do.

nice one! i've probably seen you around a few of them then. 5 of my friends drift. my best mates drift car was actually written off 2 weeks ago while he was driving to an all day prac @ barbagallo. ](*,)
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
rescue10

Post by rescue10 »

prob have seen ya.besides my photography I hold a Gold CAMS Fire Rescue Licence and a Silver CAMS Paramedic Licence
eswife

Post by eswife »

rescue10 wrote:prob have seen ya.besides my photography I hold a Gold CAMS Fire Rescue Licence and a Silver CAMS Paramedic Licence
What's a Silver Paramedic License??
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I could be a smart ass but i wont....do they have a gold paramedic one ? or for that matter a bronze ?
rescue10

Post by rescue10 »

Yer they do have bronze and gold.Its just the gradeing system.

Silver and Gold are National levels with gold level also being able to work at international motopr sports events