Motorola XTS5000, GP328
Baofeng GT-3
UBC92XLT
UBC245XLT
Kyodo KG208

Thoughts for discussion

Post by AustDaveWA »

Perth Domestic Airport, Virgin T1.
In the last week I have been to the airport twice, once to pick up someone and the second time to drop off someone. The first time last Sunday, I noticed that once I had walked into the building T1, that my scanner died. Couldn't receive anything, when I walked out of the building it came to life again. Ok, so made I had stuffed up the settings, so toady the same thing happened. My scanner squawking consistently outside the building T1 but as soon as I was inside quiet as a church mouse.

So im wondering f anyone else has noticed this, and if it means that there is some type of RF screen installed in the building
if you need to ask, then you don't need to know
Nafenn

Re: Thoughts for discussion

Post by Nafenn »

I can honestly say that I have not noticed any interference, however I have not used a radio in the terminals for years.

Given the amount of RF in that terminal however (Ramp staff/Check in staff radios, engineering radios, repeaters for air to ground links) it does not overly surprise me that there is issues inside the terminals. Having said that, I operate out of terminal 2 these days and no longer carry a radio with me away from the aircraft. When i did work on the ramp at the airport years ago I was working from the old T1 and T3 I did not have notice any radio issues both with a digital system, and an analogue duplex system on commercial frequencies. Whilst we did have Air to ground radio communication at that stage it was through a commercial frequency repeater.

Perhaps try the Terminal 1 viewing deck (assuming it is still open). While the view is not as good I have not had any scanner issues up there myself - although it has been a little while.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Thoughts for discussion

Post by vk6hgr »

You also have radar and other high-energy RF sources in the vicinity of airports. Scanners have zero front-end filtering on their receivers (being so wideband) so they're going to get swamped pretty easily.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr