Looking to get licensed

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Looking to get licensed

Post by JhG123 »

What sort of resources would be good for studying to get a foundation license, I can't find many good resources online. I already have a club in mind, PARG, but I don't know what the process is like. If anyone could link a video or something of the sort of things that are covered in the exam. Thanks :D
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Looking to get licensed

Post by Zebedee »

Ham College have their first Foundation course for 2019 over the weekend of 16/17 Feb with the exam session the following Saturday the 23rd Feb.

The two-day course will teach you everything you need to know to get a Foundation licence. Not just the theory but all the practical bits as well.

If you don't want to do the weekend course or can't due to work or other commitments, it is possible to study for it yourself in your own time. Ham College have an online version of the Foundation course available to download and work through at your leisure.

Check out www.hamcollege.com.au for more info.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Which of these will be covered in the Foundation exam?
Foundation Theory Exam: 25 multiple choice questions. 30 minutes to complete.

Standard Theory Exam: 50 multiple choice questions. 60 minutes to complete.

Advanced Theory Exam: 50 multiple choice questions. 90 minutes to complete.

Standard/Advanced Regulations Exam: 30 multiple choice questions. 30 minutes to complete
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

The Foundation one :)

25 multi-choice questions to be answered within 30 minutes.

Plus a practical assessment involving some oral questioning from an assessor and you demonstrating how to do some basic things like hooking up a radio correctly to antenna, power supply, etc then making contact on air with another station.

The whole process takes about an hour, give or take a bit. And then probably another hour for all the damn paperwork :) (I'm only semi joking, there's quite a bit of form filling and stuff...)

It is very dark.
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Brilliant, thank you. I'll probably end up going for the May 11th one so that I have more time to study both the subjects, and I assume that the paperwork is for the ACMA, right?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

WIA and ACMA yes.

Are you planning on doing the course or just the exam?

It is very dark.
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

I'll just be doing the exam and then doing the study from the videos and the syllabus attached in the exam information.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Joshek wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:11 am I'll just be doing the exam and then doing the study from the videos and the syllabus attached in the exam information.
OK. If you were doing the course, you'd not need any pre-study as everything that you need to know to pass the assessment is covered over the two days.

Plus, you get experience using the exact equipment you'll be seeing at assessment time, rather than coming in "cold".

Especially the operating procedures and how to make a contact on air, exchange signal reports, change frequency, re-establish contact, etc.

It is very dark.
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

The main problem about doing the course is having to attend during school times, which isn't possible for me, and of course getting to the venue in time.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Joshek wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:21 pm The main problem about doing the course is having to attend during school times, which isn't possible for me, and of course getting to the venue in time.
The courses are held on a Saturday and Sunday, generally 9am to about 4:30pm or so.

However, the whole situation around getting a qualification is now up in the air with the University of Tasmania being the body selected by ACMA to do the assessments from now on.

There's very little information yet about what this means, other than this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15489

It is very dark.