Is WAPOL encrypted statewide?

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

SteveNSWP

Is WAPOL encrypted statewide?

Post by SteveNSWP »

Just curious if Police across WA statewide are encrpyed, or are there some areas/channels that are still analogue or digital clear and if so, what areas are still able to be scanned?

Thanks for your replies.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
yorky

Re: Is WAPOL encrypted statewide?

Post by yorky »

Some areas are not digital although I don't know which. Most heavily populated areas are.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Cheers mate.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Smaller and smaller amounts of analogue still around.

From what I can hear from here with directional antennas, a bit of Northam and York is still analogue and channel 11 in Jarrahdale that is part of a huge linked system that goes through Wagin and down to Albany.

These channels are on the stream but there's very low traffic.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Thanks mate!
Stabs

Post by Stabs »

Does anyone know if the regional conventional digital radio is encrypted. ive noticed it's not P25 trunked until your in the main rural centres like Albany Esperance and Kalgoorlie so thought that there was a possibility that the conventional digital stuff might not be.
FOUNDATION
Amateur callsign: VK6FCRC
Scanners and Receivers: (UNIDEN BEARCAT UBC355XLT ) (Wouxun 920p) (Baofeng UV-5R) (Kenwood Ts-430s) (yaesu 450D) (Baofeng GT-5TP) (ORICOM UHF088) (DICK SMITH HORNETT 2) (UNIDEN 980 SSB) (various phillips) (tait can't remember the model) (simoco unsure the model) (baojie 218)

Post by FOUNDATION »

I belive denmark or walpole is still annalogue as i'm still hearing them on the denmark frequency . as far as i know annalogue is still switched on as a backup to the digital system in the great southern even though they rarely use it.
Diceman
Scanners and Receivers: none at this time

Post by Diceman »

FOUNDATION wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 am I belive denmark or walpole is still annalogue as i'm still hearing them on the denmark frequency .
Would be very little radio traffic on the Denmark frequency
Stabs

Post by Stabs »

Denmark and Walpole or analogue ch13 and 14 are still being used while the digital infrastructure is commissioned. All of the the other country repeaters have been turned of and dismantled. I been been scanning all the new digital frequencies but is very heavily encrypted am getting call signs coming up on screen but as far as voice goes it’s 99% encrypted might get a word or two here and there but not enough to make anything understandable. I would suggest it’s AES 256 like the trunked stuff in major Centers. Is impossible to crack with what we have at our disposal today. It is a p25 conventional system with has a history of being unreliable with encrypted content hopefully we keep listening you never no.
Stabs

Post by Stabs »

FYI. If anyone cares WAPOLs trunked radio network is down across the south west and they have switched to conventional p25. VKI IS UNENCRYPTED. Look on the ACMA website for the 467 to 469 MHz frequency for your postcode. Don’t follow the 505 MHz frequencies they are for trunked radio only. You will be able to hear VKIs voice transmissions across the entire south west providing you have either a p25 radio or a p25 scanner. All WAPOLs vehicles and base radios are still currently broadcasting encrypted data. Yes that is confirmed VKI is broadcasting clear voice transmissions across the south west.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Is this still the case today before I try and enter in a bunch of frequencies?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Stabs

Post by Stabs »

Yes. Just heard VKI allocate a 348 to RJ102.
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Haven't gotten voice on the old Mandurah frequency yet, just a few garbled messages, but it seems like the trunked repeater is still functioning, saw some subscribers connecting to the repeater. This is what DSD has recieved

Code: Select all

Sync:  -NXDN96    mod: GFSK inlvl: 13% VOICE e:=======R==
Sync: no sync
Sync:  +NXDN96    mod: GFSK inlvl: 17% VOICE e:=====R=====R===
Sync:  -X2-TDMA   mod: QPSK inlvl: 22% src:        0 tg:     0 [slot0]  slot1   RATE 1/2 DATA
Sync:  -X2-TDMA   mod: QPSK inlvl: 24% src:        0 tg:     0 [SLOT0]  slot1   VOICE e:====R===========R======R====R========R=============R===E======R===
Sync: (-X2-TDMA)  mod: QPSK inlvl: 24% src:        0 tg:     0 [SLOT0]  slot1   VOICE e:====E====R=====R=========R====E======E=====R=========R=======R
Sync:  -NXDN96    mod: C4FM inlvl: 14% VOICE e:====R=========R
Sync:  +DMR       mod: QPSK inlvl: 30% [SLOT0]  slot1   VOICE e:=========R==================R====E==========R==E======R
Sync: (+DMR)      mod: GFSK inlvl: 25% [SLOT0]  slot1   VOICE e:=======R====R===========R=======R======E==========R==========
I don't know what's going on anymore
Edit: getting traffic on talkgroup 1 at the Mandurah repeater, I'm thinking it's resolved?
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Unfortunately, this isn't how the P25 OTAR protocol works. You'd need the OTAR encryption key as well, which is another key that encrypts the encryption keys. It's explained better here:
As noted above, cryptographic keying of P25 radios may be done manually by a technician with a
special keyloading device (called a Key Variable Loader or KVL) or may be performed remotely via the
OTAR protocol. The OTAR protocol relies on each mobile having pre-shared unit-specific keying material
(key encrypting keys) that permit a remote Key Management Facility (or “KMF”) to securely add, update,
and remove elements of the radios’ traffic key tables.
https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewco ... is_reports
The TEK is the primary key that encrypts voice and data
transmissions. The KEK encrypts one or more TEKs (or other KEKs) and is used to
identify/authenticate a group of TEKs.
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... t508_0.pdf
If you do program your radio and it does affiliate with an ID number that matches a legitimate radio's ID, you put the operator in serious danger of missing critical communications or being unable to call for help - this can lead to injury or death!
https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... is.215894/

And likely, if you tried to affiliate another radio to the network with the same ID as a proper radio, it would get detected quickly too, once the officer realises their radio won't connect.
FOUNDATION
Amateur callsign: VK6FCRC
Scanners and Receivers: (UNIDEN BEARCAT UBC355XLT ) (Wouxun 920p) (Baofeng UV-5R) (Kenwood Ts-430s) (yaesu 450D) (Baofeng GT-5TP) (ORICOM UHF088) (DICK SMITH HORNETT 2) (UNIDEN 980 SSB) (various phillips) (tait can't remember the model) (simoco unsure the model) (baojie 218)

Post by FOUNDATION »

Diceman wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:55 pm
FOUNDATION wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 am I belive denmark or walpole is still annalogue as i'm still hearing them on the denmark frequency .
Would be very little radio traffic on the Denmark frequency
True but the site is in a national park powered by solar and battery's making site access difficult and my guess is digital signals don't work in and around timber aswell as unencrypted signals. also my guess is the site has not internet access so my guess is they would have a portable dmr hotspot ?.