Best hand held scanner

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Forey89

Best hand held scanner

Post by Forey89 »

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a handheld scanner for home/car as i am VFRS member and in my spare time i like to listen to
6ar/6ip and on the way to the station for turn out. What handheld scanner do u guys recommend for just
DFES comcen and major incidents.

Thanks
yorky

Re: Best hand held scanner

Post by yorky »

There are many to choose from, but if you can find a second hand Uniden UBC93XLT (or even the 100 channel 73XLT model) that is a safe bet. Just has to support the ~164Mhz range mainly which most scanners do (although watch out for any from the US that might not support it).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Forey89

Post by Forey89 »

Thanks Yorky,

Very much appreciated also what do you think about the Uniden UBC126AT??

Thanks
yorky

Post by yorky »

First I've seen it but it appears to be the updated replacement which is good if you want brand new and yes will work fine.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Forey89

Post by Forey89 »

Thanks again mate
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

I can personally vouch for the Uniden EZI30XLT.

Does the VHF band, as well as (more applicable for me) the UHF band used by the SES. It's handy to listen into when I can't make it to the unit.
WASES CSU
Diceman
Scanners and Receivers: none at this time

Post by Diceman »

roland985 wrote:I can personally vouch for the Uniden EZI30XLT.

Does the VHF band, as well as (more applicable for me) the UHF band used by the SES. It's handy to listen into when I can't make it to the unit.
My old man loves his EZI30XLT
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

It works even better with a scantenna attached.
WASES CSU
elvistcb62

Post by elvistcb62 »

Hand held whistler scanner after getting one i,can truly say thay run rings around the new Bearcats hp series
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

elvistcb62 wrote:Hand held whistler scanner after getting one i,can truly say thay run rings around the new Bearcats hp series
Whistler scanners are NOT sold in Australia, (the source of this forum), it would have to be imported. Then the problems start, our band plans are different to the US and would require alteration to conform. Not to mention the fact that some scanners, including the Whistler would work out rather costly if purchased new from the US (given the current exchange rate). Stick to a local product sold by a local dealer because if it stuffs up you have a better chance of getting it serviced. Will save you time, money and aggravation getting it to and from to the US.

BTW all contemporary scanners (handheld and mobile) sold in Australia cover the VHF high band (164 MHz as mentioned in your OP).

If money is not really a consideration go for the UBC126AT. It can be programmed using software which saves time and makes alteration to any profile easier.

R