Bus fire

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

doggie015

Re: Bus fire

Post by doggie015 »

yorky wrote:Another bus fire at Curtin, it was read out as a CNG bus I missed the number.
Was it this one? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-10/p ... n=business
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes. Although my personal opinion was that it wasn't a gas related issue but more of a run of the mill overheating/electrical.

It was stated to be electrical by the attending fire stations but of course they are not mechanics.

I speculate that the issues may not lie with gas, but that if there is a fire its not like you want to be standing next to a dozen gas cylinders.

During Saturday I was listening to Transperth radios for only a short time, and heard many buses overheating.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

yorky wrote:...if there is a fire its not like you want to be standing next to a dozen gas cylinders...
Well; that much is obvious! Hopefully they can fix the problem soon. While the Diesel buses are more comfortable; their air conditioning SUCKS and they are not wheelchair-accessible. (Not that I have to use a wheelchair, but I would feel sorry for the people that do if the gas buses are taken off the road.)

That being said, it should only be a temporary measure while they convert the modern buses to Diesel running (It would involve engine, fuel line and fuel tank replacement across the fleet which would be quite expensive and it would push the running costs up but it's either that or have people stop using buses in case they decide to spontaneously combust)
yorky

Post by yorky »

I must say though the fires generally start slow, there shouldn't be an issue getting everyone off before flames get to burning your bum. Apparently this one had a warning come up to the drivers panel first as well (what that warning said I don't know).

What I am concerned about is the installed 'fire suppression system', didn't seem to do squat in all the cases shown in the media.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator

Post by 1357 »

doggie015 wrote:
yorky wrote: While the Diesel buses are more comfortable; their air conditioning SUCKS and they are not wheelchair-accessible.
Remember a good number of the latest silver buses are also diesel. Including all the Volvos as far as I'm aware.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

1357 wrote:
doggie015 wrote:
yorky wrote: While the Diesel buses are more comfortable; their air conditioning SUCKS and they are not wheelchair-accessible.
Remember a good number of the latest silver buses are also diesel. Including all the Volvos as far as I'm aware.
Well that's good! Those latest ones have the legroom and comfortable seats of the old Diesel with the accessibility of the gas ones and better air conditioning (Being rather tall I frequently have my knees against the seat in front of me on the gas buses. Legroom is quite important and the designers of the older gas buses seem to have forgotten that!)
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

Volvo's and legroom? You must be joking? :oops:

I'd have no issues standing next to the 7 gas tanks during a bus fire. Simple fact is, they are designed to be able to withstand pretty much anything. They won't explode under the conditions of a bus fire.

Those OC's are a bloody good bus, when they are maintained properly. The Oil line (and also the coolant lines, do need to be rerouted to not allow them to leak onto anything that will allow them to smolder or combust.
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

6stbase wrote:Volvo's and legroom? You must be joking? :oops:
While the newer ones don't have the same amount as the old diesels they do have more legroom than the gas buses (I can actually sit down without my knees hitting the seat in front of me!)
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

That's rather interesting, as I find the OC's have a lot more room than the B7RLE's, but then again, that could just be my imagination
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

6stbase wrote:That's rather interesting, as I find the OC's have a lot more room than the B7RLE's, but then again, that could just be my imagination
Sometimes the OC's have sufficiant legroom but a few of them have a configuration that just kills any legroom you could have. If I see an OC with no gap between the sides of the seats I basically have to go to the priority seats because I cannot fit in the regular ones! I have yet to see a B7RLE with so little legroom
MathewCox

Post by MathewCox »

I can't say any more than negligence, many of these incidents could have been prevented with an improved maintenance and inspection program :roll: