W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Son Of The Phantom
Amateur callsign: Optimus
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden BearCat UBC355XLT

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by Son Of The Phantom »

Toyota is planning to kill off the 70 Series, so what will FESA do to replace the LT's? Hilux maybe ?
I know that they had some Patrols once and there's a few Landies around but there have been issues with those. so.....
Proud owner of ex-TE205 (VE2 SV6)
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

Son Of The Phantom wrote:Toyota is planning to kill off the 70 Series, so what will FESA do to replace the LT's? Hilux maybe ?
I know that they had some Patrols once and there's a few Landies around but there have been issues with those. so.....
If that is true, they should think outside the square! - Maybe use the Iveco Massif or Daily 4x4.
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

TLD11 wrote:
Son Of The Phantom wrote:Toyota is planning to kill off the 70 Series, so what will FESA do to replace the LT's? Hilux maybe ?
If that is true, they should think outside the square! - Maybe use the Iveco Massif or Daily 4x4.
Or they should use Nissan Navaras due to torque, But hopefully it is just a hoax.
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

if i was gonna stop using landcruiser i would propably use patrols in stread you need something strong and tuff i wouldnt use hillux or and chinese branded car !
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
Son Of The Phantom

hold3n wrote:
TLD11 wrote:
Or they should use Nissan Navaras due to torque, But hopefully it is just a hoax.[/quote

Wouldn't bother with Navara, good for torque as said but the chassis has a bending issue.
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

Or they should use Nissan Navaras due to torque, But hopefully it is just a hoax.[/quote

Wouldn't bother with Navara, good for torque as said but the chassis has a bending issue.[/quote]

Fair point you got there.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

The Great Wall ute have a bit of poke to them. Unsure how they would fair on a fire ground with a load of water on the back.
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

philby wrote:The Great Wall ute have a bit of poke to them. Unsure how they would fair on a fire ground with a load of water on the back.
Nah mate great walls have crap torque and power. and simply dont offer much structural support in case of crashes. And the myth is expelled Toyota are going to make a dual cab version, so i highly doubt that they will discontinue production anytime soon.
Matt.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Matt. »

150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

They have 5 years to redesign a few things which probably should be done anyway, like side airbags etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the article is just something that Toyota is doing for publicity. People will jump up and down about it being an Australian icon and then Toyota will "save it" with much fan fair at the 11th hour with a huge amount of free media attention.

The only other vehicle FESA could replace it with would be a Land Rover if they don't want to compromise on weight/4x4 capability. DEC use Hilux for the officers and they carry basically only space saver slip ons, not the extra lockers, bar work and gear that FESA carry so the weight on a DEC light unit is less (don't forget DEC fire crew only use Heavy Duties and Gang Trucks (3.4's) as its primary fire fighting vehicle and don't really rely on the much smaller light tankers)

At the end of the day with fires getting bigger and badder FESA should also be focusing on the larger vehicles like DEC does, the LT, although very useful and should always be around should not be the "back bone" of the FESA bushfire fighting fleet, FESA should have more single cab 4x4 canters and set them up specifically for Bushfires to carry 1500lt of water, or at least 1000lt. The other option is getting the 1.4 Land Rovers that they use to run.

... or an F250, F350 could be interesting...
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Post by pacestick »

I think they should try the ford Rangers and modify them into a LT but not sure if it would work.
Toyota are likely to have something in the line to replace the 70s but only time will tell.
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE
Son Of The Phantom

The Dual Cab has been released, wonder if FESA will trial them. (Like they did with the Landies)
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

At the end of the day with fires getting bigger and badder FESA should also be focusing on the larger vehicles like DEC does, the LT, although very useful and should always be around should not be the "back bone" of the FESA bushfire fighting fleet, FESA should have more single cab 4x4 canters and set them up specifically for Bushfires to carry 1500lt of water, or at least 1000lt. The other option is getting the 1.4 Land Rovers that they use to run.

... or an F250, F350 could be interesting...[/quote]

Unfortunately as handy as it would be to have more water capacity by using a canter or F350 due to their weight you need to have an MR licence to drive them which more than half the vollies in most brigades don't have and due to the mines the cost of getting it is over $2000 I think.
as for great walls I think I would rather walk around with a knapsack than trust them.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Unfortunately as handy as it would be to have more water capacity by using a canter or F350 due to their weight you need to have an MR licence to drive them which more than half the vollies in most brigades don't have and due to the mines the cost of getting it is over $2000 I think.
The F 350 would be a standard licence and a canter would only be a LR licence if that, but you are right in that anything above a standard licence would be an issue... Forgot about that... To get a MR is only be a couple of hundred depending how many lessons you took but that is enough to stop people getting one if all they are going to use it for is in their local brigade.
Matt.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Matt. »

VW had a couple of Amaroks at the workshops the other day , single and dual cabs