scanning mobile phone air waves

What scanner to buy? What's the best antenna to use? Programming? Ask here!

Moderator: Always RX

shareboy

scanning mobile phone air waves

Post by shareboy »

Hi all,

I`m new here. I have a Uniden 200 channel scanner. I have a heap of channels entered, but am wondering about picking up mobile phones. Was it only the old analogue phones that could be picked up, and not the digitals of today?

Cheers.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: scanning mobile phone air waves

Post by vk6hgr »

shareboy wrote:Hi all,

I`m new here. I have a Uniden 200 channel scanner. I have a heap of channels entered, but am wondering about picking up mobile phones. Was it only the old analogue phones that could be picked up, and not the digitals of today?
Hi Shareboy.

That's right.

It's worth pointing out that it is also illegal under the Telecommunications act to listen to telephone calls. I think we can live with that since in many countries (such as the UK) scanners are illegal outright.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
shareboy

Post by shareboy »

Thanks Gavin
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Re: scanning mobile phone air waves

Post by Nosferatu »

vk6hgr wrote: It's worth pointing out that it is also illegal under the Telecommunications act to listen to telephone calls. I think we can live with that since in many countries (such as the UK) scanners are illegal outright.
I don't quite understand this actually ... how about the amateur radio transceivers they have there ? I'm sure they can listen to frequencies other than their amateur radio bands ... What I mean is that an amateur radio transceiver can act like a scanner anyway ... :smt017

By the way, I'm aware that the scanners that are sold in the US have their cellular band blocked