Amateur radio - please read all :)

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Are you interested in getting your amateur license?

I don't know how to get it
6%
Thought about it, but i'm just too lazy :)
16%
Does not interest me at all
14%
I'd love to get it, more info please!
18%
I already have my license
33%
I'm currently studying and on the way!
12%

Total votes: 49

Bonez

Amateur radio - please read all :)

Post by Bonez »

So how many of you scanner enthusiasts are interested in taking on a new hobby and learning a whole lot more about radio that you have never learnt before?

Do you have $15 to buy the book, a small fee for the examination and a spare Sunday? Have you thought of getting your foundation amateur radio license and being able to talk world wide with an inexpensive transceiver?

What about all the extra stuff you will learn along the way that will make your scanner days much more fun, building your own antennas and understanding those technical things you've never really been able to get your head around?

There was a few announcements made in this forum about the new entry level license a while back, with extremely little interest from other forum users. So how bout' it?

Please ask away if you are interested and there's a few of us on here who will most certainly be able to point you in the right direction. It's a great hobby and is really a whole lot of fun!

Cheers,
Bonez
VK6FBNZ
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Amateur radio - please read all :)

Post by Zebedee »

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!

I'm very interested and it's been on my "to do list" now for an embarrassing length of time. (At this point, Gavin will be nodding his head...)

The only reason I haven't done it yet is down to one simple reason - too bloody slack to get myself organised! :) I got as far as getting the book almost as soon as it came out... and then things stalled again...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
VK6ARA

Post by VK6ARA »

Hey Bonez,

Good to see you putting the good word in for potential new hams! :) Im sure many of the users in this group would love the chance to get a foundation callsign.

I have just joined this group myself but have been a "ham" for years.

Catch you on the bands bones! :D

Andrew
VK6ARA
---------
VK6ARA
Perth, Australia
d0t-bat

Post by d0t-bat »

Im interested..

*What is equipment is needed?
*Where can it be obtained?
*What is the setup costs involved?
*Where can you get the license/books?
*Where can you take the exam?
*What is involved in the exam?

d0t
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

If you're interested the first port of call would be the Wireless Institute of Australia. They will let you know what to study, where to get info and where to take the exam.

Gear? A handheld will get you going on 2m - they're pretty cheap, comparable to a UHF CB.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

WPXZBP wrote: Gear? A handheld will get you going on 2m - they're pretty cheap, comparable to a UHF CB.
Get one of the Chinese Quansheng handhelds for $99. 2m or 70cm (UHF) models available :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Already have it .VK6YNE
ps how do you vote
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Poll has closed.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

but i just added my opinion!!!
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

i went to mine then i got lost and forgot must do it again
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Alright I suppose this thread'd be the best one to ask in rather than starting a new one.
I'm interested in doing the standard license for the technical aspects, but which of the bands are most popular generally that you've found. In particular ones that don't sound like Ch8 CB, and then what license does it actually come under, insterested in all bands under all 3 classes.
Once I've decided there I understand from previous readings that Yagi aerials are the way to go (1 going up and then 3 going downwards on an angle??), but there's a number of different radio's out there. For a n00b :P what should I be looking at considering that initially I'll just be doing basic stuff but if things go well may get a little bit more into it.

Thanks guys I know you'll give me some good honest answers (hopefully :lol:)
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

If you want to chat like on UHF CB then 70cm (430-440MHz) is what you want. 2m (144-148MHz) is also a good band.

If you want something like 27MHz CB and to chat very long distance then go with the HF bands. (ie 160-10m, maybe 6m for added challenge)

Yagi antennas are what most tv antennas look like (ie view from top down is |-|-|-| ) There's many types of antenna useable from the venerable vertical, to the dipole, quad, delta loop, log periodic to the spiderbeam, just to name a few.

Hope that helps.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

WPXZBP wrote:If you want to chat like on UHF CB then 70cm (430-440MHz) is what you want. 2m (144-148MHz) is also a good band.

If you want something like 27MHz CB and to chat very long distance then go with the HF bands. (ie 160-10m, maybe 6m for added challenge)

Yagi antennas are what most tv antennas look like (ie view from top down is |-|-|-| ) There's many types of antenna useable from the venerable vertical, to the dipole, quad, delta loop, log periodic to the spiderbeam, just to name a few.

Hope that helps.
Cool thanks mate, been looking at some equipment and most radios that i've seen have been aimed at 6m, 2m, 70cm range but then some say HF, I presume that means all available bands under HF?
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Tyranus wrote: but then some say HF, I presume that means all available bands under HF?
Yep. HF refers to everything allocated to amateurs from the 3.5MHz to the 29MHz bands. Foundation, Standard and Advanced all increasingly higher access to amateur HF bands.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

vk6hgr wrote:
Tyranus wrote: but then some say HF, I presume that means all available bands under HF?
Yep. HF refers to everything allocated to amateurs from the 3.5MHz to the 29MHz bands. Foundation, Standard and Advanced all increasingly higher access to amateur HF bands.
Awesome...actually wait there goes more of my time, more stuff to study and more money to spend...typical really how I pick the expensive hobbies! Thanks to the 2 of you, I had a feeling you 2 would be the most likely to respond! :)
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB