Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Antenna Installer

Post by Nosferatu »

Does anyone know a good antenna installer in Perth for Amateur Antenna ? I'm a beginner in amateur radio so I need someone who can help me choosing and installing antennas.
VK6ZMS

Re: Antenna Installer

Post by VK6ZMS »

What bands do you want an antenna for, how much room have you got and whats your budget ?
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

Hello VK6ZMS

For now, I will just want to install a dual band VHF/UHF Antenna and cable that to my room. Just like below link to be used with my handheld Yaesu FT-60R so that I don't have to go outside when I need to transmit. ( Since I mentioned this antenna I also want to ask your opinion about this dual band antenna based on the specifications mentioned in the link)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1743wt_881

But in the future when I get my HF radio I might get a long wire installed.

Thank's
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

I don't buy stuff of that eBay vendor anymore as the products have been of poor quality.
Contact Tower Communications in Hazlemere and see if he can order a Diamond X50 or Comet GP3.
They cover the same bands as the one you are looking at and are high quality.
Tower should be able to sort you out with co-ax cable.

The higher the better when you mount it, if you live in the metro area 2 meters above the roof line
should be OK for most repeaters in Perth. If you want to talk simplex to a mate over some distance
it will need to be higher. I just used a TV antenna mount from Bunnings for mine.

When you get on HF try a dipole over a longwire.
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

Hello VK6ZMS

Yes, ok I will get the Diamond X50 or may be Comet GP3 now since you say that it's safer to get those than from eBay. Anyway, I have contacted John Tower (Tower Communication) asking him if he can install the antenna for me. He said that he doesn't install antennas and told me to get 'The Antenna Man' (the TV antenna installer) to install the antenna and cable for me. And I thought, really ? 'The Antenna Man' ? (I thought he's gotta be kidding ...) And I contacted the Antenna Man anyway and ask them if they install Amateur Antennas at all and they said 'No'.

The problem for me is installing it on the roof and put the cable down through the roof cavity to my room. I have never done that and I don't want to break anything inside my new house roof and I certainly don't want to cause leakage to the roof when it rains.

Oh by the way, yes I was thinking that about the Dipole with balun in the middle too.

How about these products ? They appeal to me because they are vertical and don't use a lot of ground space. What do you recon ?

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/diamond/b ... e-antennas

Thank's
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Maybe you need to explain what it is you want, they should be able to do it ???

With vertical antennas you need radials to make them work.

http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/radials.html

If you are researching a product check here for reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

To VK6ZMS,

Yes, thank's for that informations. I re-contact Tower Communications via e-mail this time hopefully he understand me this time.

And also I had a look at the review on the Diamond KV5 Vertical Antenna. Apparently they don't need radials according this review.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8556

Cheers
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

VK6ZMS wrote:Maybe you need to explain what it is you want, they should be able to do it ???
Don't tell anyone its an amateur radio antenna. Just say you want some coaxial cable installed down the wall cavity. Any electrician would be able to do that, although you may have to supply the coax and to make it worth their while it would probably cost a bit. If you plan to have other antenna's later, might as well run a few now, rather than wait till later. Then like was mentioned, get a TV style J pole mount for starters. I would also suggest a Diamond X series antenna or Comet GP series as they seem to be reasonable antenna's (although I differ from most others on this site as I always recommend to people the X-200 rather than the X-50, even though I use a GP series myself, but thats another point.)

What area are you in? Join a local radio club and meet other hams. Go along on club field days and working bee's to get some experience. Another way to get coax in the house is to use a window plate like this. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.p ... d=MFJ-4602

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Nosferatu wrote:To VK6ZMS,

Yes, thank's for that informations. I re-contact Tower Communications via e-mail this time hopefully he understand me this time.

And also I had a look at the review on the Diamond KV5 Vertical Antenna. Apparently they don't need radials according this review.

Cheers
Just clear up a point Tower won't install, they just sell products. I said to contact him re antenna sales not installation.
You need to talk to the Antenna Man regarding installation

Cheers
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

To VK6ZMS,

Oh no, I have emailed him that. Hopefully he doesn't get annoyed of me asking him that twice. Anyway, I'm going to order the antenna first and get the Antenna Man to install it.

Thank's
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Ron, send a PM to meg and find out who she used to install her antennas. She used somebody similar to Antenna Man and they were happy to do it. One of the antennas would have been a Diamond X-50...
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

Blinky wrote: If you plan to have other antenna's later, might as well run a few now, rather than wait till later.
Hello Blinky,

Yes I'm planning to install another antenna for HF. I'm planning to install one of these for my HF.

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/diamond/b ... e-antennas

Do different antennas require different thickness of Coaxial or I can use the same one ?
I supposed the thicker the better because less energy lost ? :smt017

NB: Yes I might check out the Hills Amateur Club. My work colleague recommend it.

Thank's
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Nosferatu wrote: Do different antennas require different thickness of Coaxial or I can use the same one ?
I supposed the thicker the better because less energy lost ?
Ideally the thicker coax would be better for VHF/UHF as there are less losses. The thinner coax would be ok for HF if the length is not too long.

As for the HF vertical, Personal preference I guess. I would prefer a horizontal dipole myself. Never used a vertical so cannot comment.

As for the club, HARG would be a good choice as it seems to be an active club. Even listening to experienced Hams you would learn a lot.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Nosferatu wrote:To VK6ZMS,

Cheers
While it may not need them to get a low SWR it wont radiate its signal too well without them. You get ground loss.
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

VK6ZMS wrote:
While it may not need them to get a low SWR it wont radiate its signal too well without them. You get ground loss.
Ok, I will reasearch on the ground radials.

Thank's