Hello i want to learn about amateur radio

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Noodle

Hello i want to learn about amateur radio

Post by Noodle »

Hi i have been looking in to amateur radio for a while and have read some articles about it on the internet but that is gets a little bit confusing because there will be a little bit of infomation here and there i currently have a uniden ubc73xlt reciver that i listen to the fireies on and a simple uhf two way radio that i have on channle one where i seem to be listerning to amaterur's but i can only recive but can't talk to them. back to the subject can any one help me with more info on amature radio,diffrent clubs,people i can listen to on my scanner ect ect.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Hello i want to learn about amateur radio

Post by Zebedee »

G'day Noodle,

You've come to the right place :P

There's two organisations in WA that do amateur radio training courses - the Southern Electronics Group and Ham College.

SEG is located in the south-west and HC is in the Perth metro area.

The next two courses that will be running for people new to the hobby are the 29-30 August in Mount Barker run by SEG and 19-20 September at Lynwood Scout Hall with HC.

In Perth, if you listen in to 146.700, 146.750, 146.800, 146.950, 438.425 and 438.525 you'll quite often hear amateurs chatting amongst themselves -- more during the day time than at night.

For information about the various radio clubs, you could always tune into the Ham College Information Beacon on 145.575 MHz. It's on either an hourly or two-hourly loop, and as part of the loop there's information about the various clubs around the place.

What information have you come up with so far, and what is it that you still want to know?

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Noodle

Post by Noodle »

well i know a bit about it now. do u know any places i can get book's on amateur radio about how they work and Licenceing. could i get it all from a local libary or should i conctact a radio club about some as i am only 16yr's old it is very hard to get to places as all i can take public transport also time is short as i work 5 days a week. i have contacted wia and they have sent me some infomation but not much
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Noodle wrote:well i know a bit about it now. do u know any places i can get book's on amateur radio about how they work and Licenceing. could i get it all from a local libary or should i conctact a radio club about some as i am only 16yr's old it is very hard to get to places as all i can take public transport also time is short as i work 5 days a week. i have contacted wia and they have sent me some infomation but not much
Replying via PM :)

It is very dark.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Zebedee wrote:SEG is located in the south-west and HC is in the Perth metro area.
SEG is in the Great Southern actually. ;) :P
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

WPXZBP wrote:
Zebedee wrote:SEG is located in the south-west and HC is in the Perth metro area.
SEG is in the Great Southern actually. ;) :P
That too ...

Lots further south than me ;)

It is very dark.