Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Aviation headset to handheld transceiver

Post by Zebedee »

I was thinking earlier tonight about how to connect an aviation-style headset to a handheld amateur transceiver - either one of the Quanshengs or an Icom IC91AD...

After a bit of googling around, this looks to be a bit more challenging than I had originally thought, since the aviation headsets are built in a specific way (

One of the things I'd come across was someone's suggestion to just use one of those "personal hands-free" type earplug and lapel mike combinations. The poster reckoned the lapel mike had a "surprisingly good" noise cancelling ability, then the aviation headset just goes over the earplug.

Another option was this DIY box on this website which looks a bit complicated (and maybe a bit too much effort for a one-off...)

So ... just on the off-chance, does anyone know of a "quick and simple" way of doing what I'm looking for? ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Aviation headset to handheld transceiver

Post by robbage »

What sort of jack is on the end of the aviation headset? What impedance is the mike? I have a PC mono headset I use on my icom which has an electret (condenser) mike and it's wired up just using the appropriate connectors.. (ie no extra components) I have more or less the same for the FT-1802 which doesn't require any extra circuitry.. just the matching plugs and sockets. Also adapted a nokia "handsfree" doohickey just as a mike/PPT (not using the earpiece.. I hate those things)

Edit: Also, what sort of mike socket is on the quansheng?
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

robbage wrote:What sort of jack is on the end of the aviation headset?
I believe they're 6.5mm phono plugs, but I'm not 100% certain. I also don't know what the expected impedance is. I'm having a bit of trouble finding any of that out... I did find that the Icom manual says this for the mic/speaker connectors:

Edit: Also, what sort of mike socket is on the quansheng?
Both radios have one of those moulded 2.5mm / 3.5mm dual plugs... The speaker/mic I have for the Icom, despite having the same connectors as the one for the Quansheng doesn't work in the Quansheng - and vice versa. So they must be wired up differently or have different impedances...

It is very dark.
robbage
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way

Post by robbage »

Yeah I found the Quansheng pinout later on. http://highfields-arc.6te.net/construct ... heng51.htm
I can't see why the headset can't be plugged in with a suitable adaptor.. if the impedance is incorrect then it will just sound bad or not work at all. Does the headset have PTT? With a stereo 6.5mm there aren't enough connections for a conventional configuration of mike, speaker, PTT and ground.
A 6.5mm line socket is a fairly standard item. That with 2.5mm and 3.5mm stereo jacks should be enough to try it out.
According to this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/hm46.html the Icom is wired the other way around with the 2.5mm and 3.5mm doing opposite jobs.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

robbage wrote:Yeah I found the Quansheng pinout later on. http://highfields-arc.6te.net/construct ... heng51.htm
Thanks for that, I hadn't managed to get around to finding any info about the Quanshengs, I'd started with the Icom and worked from there.
robbage wrote:I can't see why the headset can't be plugged in with a suitable adaptor.. if the impedance is incorrect then it will just sound bad or not work at all. Does the headset have PTT?
That I'm not sure about, I don't think there's a PTT on the headset itself, I think that's controlled from elsewhere (i.e. the control column in the aircraft) - I shall have to ask one of our tame pilots we keep around here ;)
robbage wrote:With a stereo 6.5mm there aren't enough connections for a conventional configuration of mike, speaker, PTT and ground.
I'm fairly sure the headset has two 6.5mm plugs, one for the headphones and one for the microphone.
robbage wrote:A 6.5mm line socket is a fairly standard item. That with 2.5mm and 3.5mm stereo jacks should be enough to try it out.
Yeah - that was my first thought, just getting suitable adapters and see what happens - then I started to see the wiring diagrams for the Icom and thought to myself "this looks like it might involve more than just using an adapter from one size plug to another" ;)
robbage wrote:According to this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/hm46.html the Icom is wired the other way around with the 2.5mm and 3.5mm doing opposite jobs.
Isn't that odd ...

It is very dark.
robbage
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way

Post by robbage »

Zebedee wrote:
robbage wrote:I can't see why the headset can't be plugged in with a suitable adaptor.. if the impedance is incorrect then it will just sound bad or not work at all. Does the headset have PTT?
That I'm not sure about, I don't think there's a PTT on the headset itself, I think that's controlled from elsewhere (i.e. the control column in the aircraft) - I shall have to ask one of our tame pilots we keep around here ;)
If not then an inline switch or something. I have a PTT that you hold like you would a hammer and then press down with your thumb.. like some camera exposure thingies.
Zebedee wrote:Yeah - that was my first thought, just getting suitable adapters and see what happens - then I started to see the wiring diagrams for the Icom and thought to myself "this looks like it might involve more than just using an adapter from one size plug to another" ;)
Doesn't look like it.. the mike doesn't get it's ground from the sleeve like the headphone. The sleeve is PTT.
Zebedee wrote:
robbage wrote:According to this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/hm46.html the Icom is wired the other way around with the 2.5mm and 3.5mm doing opposite jobs.
Isn't that odd ...
Not really :-) The great thing about standards is...
Anyway.. if you want me to wire something up, let me know
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

the intercom doesnt have a PTT, it is voice activated.

the PTT is for Communications between the pilot and ATC
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Nafenn wrote:the intercom doesnt have a PTT, it is voice activated.

the PTT is for Communications between the pilot and ATC
The PTT is the one on the control column I assume.

If the headphones are VOX activated, there must be some kind of switching mechanism - when the incoming audio is above a certain threshold it activates ... ?

Any idea whether there's any documentation on how it all works? :P

It is very dark.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Zebedee wrote:The PTT is the one on the control column I assume.

If the headphones are VOX activated, there must be some kind of switching mechanism - when the incoming audio is above a certain threshold it activates ... ?

Any idea whether there's any documentation on how it all works? :P
uhhh... there is an intercom switch, and a squelch knob ;)

thats all i know, there might be more info in the aircraft manual... will look it up if i get a chance
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

That'd be good, thanks :)

It is very dark.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Zebedee wrote: I believe they're 6.5mm phono plugs, but I'm not 100% certain. I also don't know what the expected impedance is. I'm having a bit of trouble finding any of that out...
Don't know if this is a industry standard for aviation headsets, but the aviation headsets that Altronics sells have an impedance of 300 ohms each wired in parallel.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... m&id=C9063

and there's also this

http://wsanders.net/blog/static.php?pag ... 527-095119

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Blinky wrote:Don't know if this is a industry standard for aviation headsets, but the aviation headsets that Altronics sells have an impedance of 300 ohms each wired in parallel.
Thanks Blinky - I'm fairly sure there are two aviation standards, from what I've been reading ... basically "Military" and "Everything Else" :)
Yeah I saw that wsanders.net link last night and looked fairly interesting. And I never knew Altronics sold aviation headsets! :P

It is very dark.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

And just to add to the insanity ... We seem to have a non-standard plug size ;)

Looking at this document, the plugs are 6.5mm and 5.3mm - I've never even *heard* of that second one before :)

It is very dark.