Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

AR activities in Melbourne

Post by Zebedee »

As well as watching fast cars go around Albert Park, I took my Icom handheld radio over to Melbourne with me and managed a chat with a couple of local hams the other night, and I joined in a net run by the Eastern and Mountain District Radio Club on one of their repeaters (VK3REC) on the drive back from Phillip Island tonight.

Tomorrow, I'm off to the EMDRC monthly meeting in Nunawading after receiving an invite from the folks I was talking to. Should be good fun! According to their website, the guest speaker and topic is:
Members of the EMDRC are invited to attend a presentation by guest speaker Steven of Telstra Wireless Operations, Acquisitions and Planning.

Steven is currently Telstra's Wireless Acquisition Manager for VIC/TAS, he has been involved with the acquisition and deployment of new Mobiles Base stations for Telstra's NextG network and has previously worked on other network rollouts for other carriers. Steven will be giving a giving a presentation on how Telstra's site acquisition team acquires locations on which to place base stations, including the pitfalls and opportunities and also the various drivers that determine where sites get built.
Also something very encouraging was the net I joined tonight was being run by an F-call, and he was doing a great job with it too, especially having to contend with a mobile VK6 station miles away from the repeater who'd have a good signal one moment and a crappy one the next!

I look forward to putting faces to callsigns tomorrow night.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
VK6ZMS

Re: AR activities in Melbourne

Post by VK6ZMS »

A friend of mine VK3ANT is in that club.
If you put out a call on D-star VK3RWN port B (70cm) it will be relayed to Perth automatically.
You also need the GPS mic so we can see where you are via DPRS :lol:
Amateur Radio Moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: AR activities in Melbourne

Post by Zebedee »

Haven't had a chance to do any DSTAR'ing yet... Will give that a shot tomorrow or Saturday :)

Will look for VK3ANT and say g'day if I find him!

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.