Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Standard Licence

Post by Zebedee »

The Ham College 2014 Standard Course started last night with eight people enrolled. That makes for a full class and lots of people squeezed in around the table!

There's a mixture of people entering the hobby directly at this level and some Foundation operators looking to upgrade.

First topics covered were some of the regulations and also some maths revision (since high school was a long time ago for most of us!)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Ozfisho
Amateur callsign: VK6FIOR

Post by Ozfisho »

I just got my F class with Ham College back in June, I want to do my standard, but I don't know if I've got the knowledge. I've always been interested in operating a radio, not building it.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Ozfisho wrote:I just got my F class with Ham College back in June, I want to do my standard, but I don't know if I've got the knowledge. I've always been interested in operating a radio, not building it.
Shouldn't be too bad. Standard is reasonably straight forward with a bit of work. There's a few ways to go about getting Standard. You can self study or do a course.

Ham College runs a course from approx Feb to June each year. The course is on a Tuesday night for three hours a night. It covers all the material you'd need to know for passing both the stand-alone Regs exam and also the Standard Theory.

If that method of studying doesn't suit, you can study through the Radio and Electronics School in Queensland via a computer based package, or you can buy the Ham College manual used in their courses and self-study.

The Standard syllabus is available on the WIA website - http://www.wia.org.au/licenses/standard ... llabus.pdf - and it tells you everything you're expected to know.

It is very dark.
Ozfisho
Amateur callsign: VK6FIOR

Post by Ozfisho »

Hi Doug, I think I met you when I done my F class, names Dale, call sign VK6FIOR. I work away a lot as a FIFO, so very hard to commit, I'll probably do something on line if I don't sign up to Ham College again for my standard if I go down that path. I've got the syllabus that I dig out every now and then for a read on the plane, and that seems straight forward enough, it's the maths etc that worry me.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Ozfisho wrote:Hi Doug, I think I met you when I done my F class, names Dale, call sign VK6FIOR. I work away a lot as a FIFO, so very hard to commit, I'll probably do something on line if I don't sign up to Ham College again for my standard if I go down that path. I've got the syllabus that I dig out every now and then for a read on the plane, and that seems straight forward enough, it's the maths etc that worry me.
Yep you'd most likely have encountered me on the Foundation course ;)

The maths aren't too bad. You can use a calculator in the exam so it's reasonably straightforward and quite often you can do most of it in your head, plus there's some 'rules of thumb' that come in handy as shortcuts or to check that you've pushed the right buttons on the calculator to get that answer.

Working away as FIFO does make it harder to commit to weekly classes, so the self study option might be the better way to go, or the Radio and Electronics School computer-based learning that you can do at your own pace. Ham College also is looking towards a computer based course but that's some way off in the future yet.

It is very dark.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

I'm thinking of skipping the whole F call business and going straight for a standard.

I'll need to brush up on my Electronic Engineering, Antenna design, regs etc.

Does anyone know of any newer books/resources for this?
WASES CSU
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Why not the Ham College manual for the Standard and Advanced licences?

It is very dark.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

Good call. I was thinking about getting a copy of that.

Do you happen to know of any online resources, however?
WASES CSU
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

roland985 wrote:Do you happen to know of any online resources, however?
Most of the online resources are designed for the US licencing system and syllabus.

However the Radio and Electronics School in Queensland have a multimedia course (comes on CDs) available.

http://www.res.net.au/

It is very dark.