Changes to Callsign Allocation etc..

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Changes to Callsign Allocation etc..

Post by VK6LD »

http://www.wia.org.au/licences/licensin ... callsigns/

An example of how & when the WIA sticks its fingers in the pie and gets involved in something quite simple (issue of a callsign) it turns into a bureaucratic nightmare! Countless procedures and no less than 4 different forms.
Last edited by VK6LD on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

I can't connect to wia.org.au at all right now. I wonder if they've got more traffic than usual
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

robbage wrote:I can't connect to wia.org.au at all right now. I wonder if they've got more traffic than usual
Network down by the looks. Perhaps they didn't pay their internet allocation fee? :P
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

robbage wrote:I can't connect to wia.org.au at all right now. I wonder if they've got more traffic than usual
I swear I didn't orchestrate a DDOS attack on them...

They should consider though that if they're going to act in this new administrative role then they will need to toughen up their systems and their network connection. If people can't get to the info on their site when they need it, there's going to be complaints.

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

It's back up. Love this:
WIA Fees for a Callsign Recommendation
he Deed between ACMA and the WIA pursuant to which the WIA performs these callsign management functions requires the WIA to adhere to the Commonwealth Cost Recovery Guidelines, and so it must charge a fee that represents what it actually costs it to provide the service. These fees have been reviewed and approved by ACMA and are subject to a full review at the end of the first year, and thereafter the annual submission of audited cost information.

The fees are as follows:

Level One $5 including GST;
Level Two $21 including GST;
Level Three $49 including GST;
Level Four At an hourly rate of $67.80 including GST, computed in blocks of ten minutes.
Payment may be made by cheque or money order, or by credit card by completion of the card details on the form or by telephone to the WIA office, or included in the moneys accepted by a WIA Assessor in accordance with the Assessment Instructions.
So for a random selection, its $5.. or for one you've chosen yourself thats available, its $21. I'd love to know how it costs $16 more.. wonder if a FOI request would get a copy of the justification etc?

The webpage and the forms have different prices also... and if you're in VK2, VK3 or VK4, it costs you more to get a 2 letter call (over double) then the other states..
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Fastlane wrote:
adhere to the Commonwealth Cost Recovery Guidelines, and so it must charge a fee that represents what it actually costs it to provide the service. These fees have been reviewed and approved by ACMA and are subject to a full review at the end of the first year, and thereafter the annual submission of audited cost information.
So for a random selection, its $5.. or for one you've chosen yourself thats available, its $21. I'd love to know how it costs $16 more.. wonder if a FOI request would get a copy of the justification etc?
What I'd like to know is how ACMA did it for no charge - presumably they were required to have full cost recovery? Why the huge difference between $0 and $21 between these two organisations? And note that neither of these orgs has a Perth office...

ACMA has some exemptions from FOI, they are a bit vague but the process is listed on this web page. There's a $30 fee. Happy to go halves with you on this Fastlane. The tender documents should be available, I can't imagine they'd be excluded under the act.
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_90024

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

The page for callsigns is now up http://www.wia.org.au/licences/licensing/publiclist/
Apparently this works better than just typing in a callsign on the ACMA search page....
Hope you get your $22 worth :-)
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two