Mobile setup

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

WPXZBP

Mobile setup

Post by WPXZBP »

Here's a view of my mobile set-up.

I have the FT-100D connected to a Sidekick tuneable antenna. No VHF/UHF amateur antenna installed yet. There's also a Tait TM-8260 in there, supplied by FESA as I am a Fire Control Officer down here.

robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Mobile setup

Post by robbage »

Thanks Wes. I don't think you had the Sidekick mounted at the lunch. BTW you didn't label that other antenna.. the one to the right of the Sidekick :)
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Nice setup !
How does the sidekick get out ? It looks rather small.
Amateur Radio Moderator
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Rob - it's not an antenna - it's an anaemometer for my home weather station.

As for the performance I could easily hear a Russian in a VK pile-up on 40m (7091kHz) this evening on my way home from the fire station. TX testing will come on a cooler day.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

I think I just heard you working the Russian station.
Amateur Radio Moderator
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Tried to - some of the VK stations are quite rude. :?
orangepeel

Post by orangepeel »

Recently i have purchased a Comet SBB-5 aerial for mobile operations. I 'think' this aerial is ground independent (hope so) and i am looking at mounting in the 4x4 for use with the 706MkIIG - i am lalso ooking around for a nice mobile HF aerial - so ideas would be appreciated on this part as well.

For the best operation - i am guessing the VHF/UHF aerial should be mounted on the roof - but i am looking at mounting on the bullbar - i am guessing the best option would be to have it with a spring and b/bar mount. I am thinking that the spring would be there to potentially reduce the vibration passed thru via bullbar. Mounting on the roof is not an option as my 4x4 only just clears the door with the roof racks.

My question to you - does it matter what spring is used ? For this aerial mounted in this position - is a spring really required. I am trying to keep it as low as possible - so i dont have to keep jumping out to bend the aerial down when backing into my garage.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreicated.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

orangepeel wrote:Recently i have purchased a Comet SBB-5 aerial for mobile operations. I 'think' this aerial is ground independent (hope so) and i am looking at mounting in the 4x4 for use with the 706MkIIG - i am lalso ooking around for a nice mobile HF aerial - so ideas would be appreciated on this part as well.
Terlin HF whips are good, a mate manged to work Canada on 40m using one.
http://www.outbacker.com.au/mobile_vehicle-77.php

orangepeel wrote:For the best operation - i am guessing the VHF/UHF aerial should be mounted on the roof - but i am looking at mounting on the bullbar - i am guessing the best option would be to have it with a spring and b/bar mount. I am thinking that the spring would be there to potentially reduce the vibration passed thru via bullbar. Mounting on the roof is not an option as my 4x4 only just clears the door with the roof racks.

My question to you - does it matter what spring is used ? For this aerial mounted in this position - is a spring really required. I am trying to keep it as low as possible - so i dont have to keep jumping out to bend the aerial down when backing into my garage.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreicated.
Keep in mind a spring base will change the length of the antenna thus changing it's resonant frequency. The Terlins are designed to work with a spring base.
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

The Codan 9350 antenna works extremely well with the IC-706 series of radio's. It only take a couple of components to make up the patch lead. You can either use the tune button or go into the menu and set it to ptt tune and it will work automatically.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

The Codans are impressive, they will even tune up on 160 metres. The only problem is the price, a new unit costs about the same as the 706.
Amateur Radio Moderator
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

If you are diligent you can find bargain 9350 Codan antennae. I have bought two for less than $400 each. If a faulty one appears cheaply, they are worth the risk as most faults are easily repairable by your average handyman. Most faults are mechanical with the common faults being a split coupler and the stepper motor sticking due to poor lubrication. Repair information is available on the web. The do work down to 160 metres but not with the supplied wire whip unless you place a bit more inductance between the Tuning unit and the whip (not hard).
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

orangepeel wrote:Recently i have purchased a Comet SBB-5 aerial for mobile operations. I 'think' this aerial is ground independent (hope so) and i am looking at mounting in the 4x4 for use with the 706MkII
Doesn't mention anything about being "ground-independent" on the Comet website. Looks like a regular collinear.

Also... do they make spring bases for antennae with PL-259 base? I don't recall ever seeing one.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

orangepeel wrote: My question to you - does it matter what spring is used ? For this aerial mounted in this position - is a spring really required. I am trying to keep it as low as possible - so i dont have to keep jumping out to bend the aerial down when backing into my garage.
I spoke to the guy at Strictly Ham when buying my mobile radio and antenna - I don't know about the Comets, but with the Diamond SG7200 antenna I got he emphatically said not to mount it on the bullbar but to put it on the bonnet. He said there's too much vibration on the bullbar (for the Diamond at any rate) and the warranty would be voided if that was where it was mounted.

Fortunately the 7200 isn't too long - haven't had any problems with car parks etc. And it works well!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Well robbage you'll be pleased to know my antenna should be here come Wednesday!
I finally received a reply back saying that it had been packed and lost behind a heap of deliveries just received. It took a phone call, which I was promised a call back and it didn't plus an unhappy email to find out where it was.
I don't think I'd have enough faith to buy from there again. Might just stick with 6NX down south, and other WA based shops.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Do any locals do Diamond though? What were you waiting for?