Don't use HF
11%

Total votes: 18

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Rotators & Yagi or Dipole/Longwire?

Post by Tyranus »

Ok, so I understand that you might attach a UHF/VHF/HF yagi to a rotator so that you can either point it at other repeaters, other stations, or other states/countries to get directed transmission/reception.
Has anyone got a rotator setup at home or that they have easy access to so that I can see what the setup looks like. Particularly interested to see how the antenna cable goes up the mast and connects to the rotating antenna etc. Unfortunately all the promo material on http://www.vxstd.com.au shows only the physical rotator and controller.
Reason: Everyone wants to know the reason I'm looking at getting another rig, one that does HF, 6m and possibly 2m and 70cm as well. I'm not sure whether I would be better off mounting a Yagi on a rotator for HF or doing a longwire/dipole.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
VK6ZMS

Re: Rotators & Yagi or Dipole/Longwire?

Post by VK6ZMS »

Tyranus wrote: I'm not sure whether I would be better off mounting a Yagi on a rotator for HF or doing a longwire/dipole.

As an F-call I would put up a dipole for 40 & 80 meters. If you upgrade to standard I would then look at a tri band yagi for 20 15 10 meters.

BTW
The Hills group are selling a TET 3 element tri band yagi for around $400 ono.
Amateur Radio Moderator
stoz

Post by stoz »

one of my friends in townsville has a yagi on a 100ft mast there a good idea if you have your bearings for the location you want. depending on how often you will be using the radio i would say would determine if you wanted to go to the trouble of the yagi but i have had some great results with a sloping long wire. or a long wire for nvis. if you want to be able to set it up easily then i would be saying the simpler the antenna the less can go wrong also easier to pack up. what type of comms are you looking for?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

unfortunately everyone habitually clears trees when putting in the estates, as such between the house and the back fence there are no trees, now I could probably therefore fit in a 40m off centre dipole or long wire but I'm also going for a tower at this point. Maybe I'll set something up on a wire, for a bit of fun later.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.