Digital modes and packet radio

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

zignig

Digital modes and packet radio

Post by zignig »

Hey all,

I'll looking at getting a radio that can do packet radio of various types. Now I understand that I have to get my standard lic. before I can use the digital modes but it's good incentive.

Meanwhile; I can mess about of 2 m and 70 cm.

What brands and models would be good to use in car for packet in the future ?

Simon :D
putting the FNORD back into NERD.

Simon VK6FNRD.
WPXZBP

Re: Digital modes and packet radio

Post by WPXZBP »

Welcome Simon

Most modent rigs will do digital modes. You need a PC interface though like a Signalink. I use a Signalink USB and FT-100D to do PSK.
zignig

Post by zignig »

I have been looking into aprs network it's very cool, and a little disturbing. There is not much infrastructure on the west coast but the only way to fix that is to put some up.

Looks like Kenwood's do aprs nativity and there is Dstar and WiresII on icom and yaesu.

Just looking for a good car ring that I _can_ do packet at a later date.

Simon.
putting the FNORD back into NERD.

Simon VK6FNRD.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Do any suitably licensed members want to try some HF digital modes? Either transmit or receive
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

There's at least myself and VK6JRC occasionally on PSK31.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Hi Wes, On what frequency?
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

There is also a SSTV net most days doing Digital SSTV as opposed to analog SSTV on 80 metres around 3.558 or 3.560 at 0800UTC and for those who can't work it out thats 5pm WDST :wink: Participants are usually from the Wheatbelt and Rockingham area's but VK6JRC in Denmark has joined in as well at times.

As far as what radio to use in car and later packet use, depends on your wallet. Almost any radio that you can get audio in/audio out and a PTT will work from cheap ex commercial to sophisicated latest all singing, all dancing types will work in a car and on packet. Depends on $.

You will also require an interface from the PC to the radio of some description. That also depends on what you want...commercial interface,kitform or homebrew...simple or complicated. People can suggest things they use and they will no doubt work extremely well but in the end its how much $ you wish to outlay and if you want to have a go at home brewing something. Plenty of data on the net for researching different ways.

my $0.02

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Nick - When on the air I'm usually on 14.070 (usual PSK31 freq) I'm not on air at the mo - needing to change my HF antenna around a bit.

JRC is a bit more adventurous - 40 & 20 at least.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Thanks Wes
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

I'm going to be building a interface for my radio soon... might find me on even exotic digital modes like RTTY :)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Just noticed an ad for the Ozi-Data Kit. Looks like a digital interface kit that has most of the necessities like transformer isolation, opto isolation, reasonable cost and supports an Eastern States Club. Could be worth researching further if someone needs a digital interface.

http://www.mncarg.org/ozidata.html

Disclaimer: no connection with the club in question, just submitted in the interest of digital operators past, present and future. Not seen or tried the kit in question.

Caveat Emptor

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.