Antenna building

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Antenna building

Post by meg »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a thread for me and anyone else making antennas. I'm being egged on by a local guru who keeps lending me totally impenetrable books on antennas! Anyway, my first one is a yagi for 2m which I'm basing on one designed by VK3DIP in one of the AR magazines.

Today I have gone to Bunnings and bought all the bits, and have cut them to size. Unfortunately it's stalled now till tomorrow for the lack of an appropriately sized drill bit. However, here's a pic of the bits cut up.

After this I have plans (in no particular order or time frame!) for:
* a vertical rhombic which I'm told should give me around 10db of gain on HF
* a vertical 2m which I'm told will leave my X50 in the dust (though I dunno that I believe that!)
* a J pole

Interested in any thoughts or opinions :)

Cheers
Meg

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Toottoot
Banned

Re: Antenna building

Post by Toottoot »

I think I have some propoganda at work along the lines of 'Antennas for dummies' I can see if I've still got it you want.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Hi Meg
Thats a coincidence I have been googling designs for a 2 meter yagi for use down in Denmark this summer.
What issue was it in?
Cheers
Amateur Radio Moderator
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

It's in September 2008, page 10. There's a 70cm design as well but I'm going to stick with the 2m first up :)

It'll be a little over 1.5 meters long and just over a meter wide, but if you don't superglue it just yet, should pack down nice and small for a trip. Apparently should be about 8db.

meg

Post by meg »

Toottoot wrote:I think I have some propoganda at work along the lines of 'Antennas for dummies' I can see if I've still got it you want.
Thanks Toottoot but I'm doing OK for the moment - have a good selection of tomes at work as well as this local chap's library (which is extensive!) :D