Scanner on a 2m/70cm antenna?

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Scanner on a 2m/70cm antenna?

Post by meg »

Hello brains trust!

This sounds like a preposterous idea, but here it is anyway...

Apart from the new amateur radio hobby, my principle use of radios is to listen to 6IP (aka 6AR) and other fire channels. I've usually got a scanner in my bag at work during the fire season, and now I'm often taking in the 2m handheld too. I'd also like to use both (better) in my car...

Looking at the specs of various amateur radios, it seems that some handhelds (but I haven't spotted a "mobile" unit) can also receive around 78mhz which is where the fire channels I'm interested in reside. So I was considering getting one of those and in the car having it plugged into an external antenna to do double duty.

So my question is - if I had an antenna on the car that was tuned for both 2m (144mhz) and 70cm (440ish?), would it also perform OK for RX on 78mhz?

I totally understand if this is a "suck it and see" question, but in case someone has already tried it out, just thought I'd ask :D

Thanks all!

Meg

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Scanner on a 2m/70cm antenna?

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:Hello brains trust!
I think you have the wrong forum ;)
meg wrote:Looking at the specs of various amateur radios, it seems that some handhelds (but I haven't spotted a "mobile" unit) can also receive around 78mhz which is where the fire channels I'm interested in reside. So I was considering getting one of those and in the car having it plugged into an external antenna to do double duty.

So my question is - if I had an antenna on the car that was tuned for both 2m (144mhz) and 70cm (440ish?), would it also perform OK for RX on 78mhz?

I totally understand if this is a "suck it and see" question, but in case someone has already tried it out, just thought I'd ask :D
I *think* it'd work reasonably well. I have a dual band antenna on the car - not sure if the Yaesu radio goes down as low as 78 megs though for receive. I'll give it a bash on the way home tonight.

The other option is my DSTAR handheld which I'm pretty sure *will* go down that low, I can connect that to the dual band base antenna on the roof of the house :P

I'll let you know.

Other option - with the new WAERN frequencies, could you use one of those instead I wonder???
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Zebedee wrote:
meg wrote:Hello brains trust!
I think you have the wrong forum ;)
Nah, I'm pretty sure "brains trust" is accurate for y'all!
Zebedee wrote: I *think* it'd work reasonably well. I have a dual band antenna on the car - not sure if the Yaesu radio goes down as low as 78 megs though for receive. I'll give it a bash on the way home tonight.

The other option is my DSTAR handheld which I'm pretty sure *will* go down that low, I can connect that to the dual band base antenna on the roof of the house :P
That would be great if you could give it a go Zebedee! I haven't spotted a "mobile" unit that goes lower than ~100mhz, but many of the handhelds seem to have a very wide range. OK, with the exception of my current handheld :P However, it would work out well (for me) for it to be a handheld unit in some ways.
Zebedee wrote: Other option - with the new WAERN frequencies, could you use one of those instead I wonder???
I confess I haven't actually looked into them at all. I don't know if they're rolling out the repeater network on WAERN (for example I usually tune into 34 which is in Wooroloo). Will go do some reading.

Cheers,
Meg

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

meg wrote:I don't know if they're rolling out the repeater network on WAERN (for example I usually tune into 34 which is in Wooroloo).
They are... 3 or 4 have been rolled out so far from memory.
meg

Post by meg »

WPXZBP wrote:
meg wrote:I don't know if they're rolling out the repeater network on WAERN (for example I usually tune into 34 which is in Wooroloo).
They are... 3 or 4 have been rolled out so far from memory.
Have they released the frequencies yet? I'll give them a try :)

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Check the frequency list towards the end of the FESA Frequencies thread.

http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15 has some current active frequencies listed.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meg

Post by meg »

Ah perfect - thankyou for not calling me blind :oops: :)

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

No probs
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Hey Meg, I've been using a 2m three element yagi at work for a couple of weeks (vertically polarised, up about 7 metres) and it receives the Roleystone 6m repeater full scale on my handheld. That's 53.8 MHz. That might give you some idea anyway. Neither of my mobile rigs tune down to 78 MHz and neither does the FT7800
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

agreed meg, you should be ok, i can receive 78 mhz on a UHF 477MHZ antenna so you should be ok , put it this way, its better then having a rubber duckie antenna, they are hopeless for reciveing in bad areas :D
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

If I had a radio beside my bed right now I'd 100% confirm it but I believe both my radio's go down a lot lower and into frequency ranges that they can't transmit on, but are able to receive. Will double check on the handheld tomorrow.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
meg

Post by meg »

Thanks all of you - sounds like it will work at least OK, and probably quite well :)

Right - back to the cunning plan!

Cheers
Meg

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:Thanks all of you - sounds like it will work at least OK, and probably quite well :)
Yeah - would be interested to see how it goes. Unfortunately my Yaesu radio in the car doesn't go down that low for receive, so I couldn't test it out while mobile.

But the antenna on the car does a reasonable job just for general reception that I've found. I've got a few different frequencies in there (e.g. air band stuff) and it seems to do OK with them.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

My handheld goes lower down to 1MHz range even (receive only)...but conveniantly skips past the 78MHz range, so can't use mine as a scanner either.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
meg

Post by meg »

Tyranus wrote:My handheld goes lower down to 1MHz range even (receive only)...but conveniantly skips past the 78MHz range, so can't use mine as a scanner either.
What? In the spec sheet your one does 78mhz - that was one of the units I was looking to get!

Cunning plan on hold...