WARSUG simplex freq

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Would you use a 2m simplex freq to chat with other WARSUGers?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:17 pm

No
14%
Yes
43%
Yes, in the 145 MHz simplex area
14%
Yes, in the 146 MHz simplex area
No votes
Yes, in the 147 MHz simplex area
No votes
Yes, but 70cm would be better
29%

Total votes: 7

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

robbage wrote: Last I heard the 70cm Tic repeater has been removed by VK6LZ and VK6POP and is probably sitting on a bench being looked at.
VK6KAD just mentioned it on the news that it's back in service.

So now I _need_ a 70cm radio :D

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

meg wrote:
robbage wrote: Last I heard the 70cm Tic repeater has been removed by VK6LZ and VK6POP and is probably sitting on a bench being looked at.
VK6KAD just mentioned it on the news that it's back in service.

So now I _need_ a 70cm radio :D
That was te Roleystone one, not Tic Hill :D
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

ConstableCare wrote: That was te Roleystone one, not Tic Hill :D
Oh bother - reading too quickly!

Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

meg wrote: would the cross band repeat (or dual receive at least) make a difference in contacting the ISS?
The ability to receive both at the same time is very useful for satellites. More so if on SSB because the frequency changes due to doppler. Not so much with ISS on FM but being off frequency does affect your contact. There are other satellites able to be worked and not all on FM. So if that is a direction you think you would like to pursue, its worth thinking about.

What is important is that the radio is able to transmit on one band and receive on another...ie VHF UHF or UHF VHF. I know my VX5r can do that, but the quick look through the 7800 manual I did not see if that could be done. Only a quick look so maybe a 7800 owner can confirm.

The repeater on the ISS is not on all the time. I think it would be fairly safe to say the majority of the time the packet BBS has been on in the past, maybe in future more sstv and/or repeater mode, who knows.

Dual receiver would probably find more use on land based activities. You could monitor the proposed WARSUG VHF frequency and the Tic Hill repeater either VHF or UHF or both Tic Hill repeaters.

Sofar you have only mentioned the 7800 vs 8800. I see Strictly Ham advertise a dual receive Icom mobile, when I looked just now,limited stock $499

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Mobile/IC-2720H.htm

Having said that I am extremely pleased with the 8800. At home I use a Yaesu FT847 and a Icom IC910 and extremely pleased with those as well. All do a good job with VHF and UHF in general and satellites.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Blinky wrote:[What is important is that the radio is able to transmit on one band and receive on another...ie VHF UHF or UHF VHF. I know my VX5r can do that, but the quick look through the 7800 manual I did not see if that could be done. Only a quick look so maybe a 7800 owner can confirm.
Yes it can I have one channel set up for the 70cm uplink TX and 2 meter
downlink RX.
Amateur Radio Moderator
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

VK6ZMS wrote: Yes it can I have one channel set up for the 70cm uplink TX and 2 meter
downlink RX.
Thanks for that.. I thought it would be strange if it could not.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
meg

Post by meg »

Blinky wrote: Sofar you have only mentioned the 7800 vs 8800. I see Strictly Ham advertise a dual receive Icom mobile, when I looked just now,limited stock $499

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Mobile/IC-2720H.htm

Having said that I am extremely pleased with the 8800. At home I use a Yaesu FT847 and a Icom IC910 and extremely pleased with those as well. All do a good job with VHF and UHF in general and satellites.
Sorry Blinky, I just realised I hadn't replied to your post. Thanks for all of you information, it's really very helpful!

I figured since I already have one Yaesu radio that it might be easier to stick with the interface of the one manufacturer. I've probably been scared by the Quansheng's manual in this regard, but I've been able to get through the FT990's manual (for the most part at least) without my head exploding :)

It sounds like from yours and VK6ZMS' posts that the 7800 will suit me fine, I'll let you know in a few weeks what ends up being wrapped up :)