Pirates

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Fitzyyy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden Bearcat ubcd396xt

Post by Fitzyyy »

Does anyone know the freq that the pirates are using?
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

none the feds have their gear.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Fitzyyy wrote:Does anyone know the freq that the pirates are using?
The pirates were using a number of amateur radio frequencies as well as possibly some other commercial or emergency services ones. But as VK6ZMS says, some people were paid a visit jointly by the Federal Police and the Australian Communications and Media Authority and their gear has been seized while the matter goes to court.

Apparently there's one more out there though, there's been some nonsense on a certain unique 2m repeater recently. But, there's a better than average chance that whoever's doing it will lose their gear too when they get caught ;)

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
TwoMeterMan

Post by TwoMeterMan »

There has been too many of these people around for too long now. Listening to the WARG Net a couple of weeks back they reckon they have caught up with the people causing the kaos??

Doesn't sound like it to me as I heard someone mucking around on Avon Valley Repeater last night.
Hillbilly

Re: Pirates

Post by Hillbilly »

For me, the most important thing, if i was buying from an individual would be knowing the equipment is not stolen.
I would hate a copper to come to my door and tell me i had purchased stolen gear.
Do i check the serial number with the police ?
Who and where else, to protect my but ???????? :!: :)

I spoke to a source in Sydney who told me, that there were 3 RI's, 1 each in Bris, Syd and melb.
The one in melb was run off his feet as he had to cover all the state on his own. He has now retired.
They don't have any one with sound radio knowledge he said. Just average bureaucrats.
What are we paying for !!!!!! Hells bells, What is the WIA Doing for us ????? Can someone tell us?
I want to see more done to get the pirates off the air and it may be that we have to do more of the ground work for the ACMA. Very poor state of affairs !! :(
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Hillbilly wrote:I want to see more done to get the pirates off the air and it may be that we have to do more of the ground work for the ACMA. Very poor state of affairs !! :(
I'd be interested in hearing what you think should be done about it... What do you suggest?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re:

Post by Fastlane »

robbage wrote:Yes Meg and some of those Hong Kong sellers have websites selling radios that don't even mention they are on the amateur band, commercial freqs and E.S. freqs :shock: . People buying them might not even have a clue... it's just a walkie talkie. You can buy one for $40 for 2m or 70cm with free shipping. Controlling it is like trying to mop up the Indian Ocean with a roll of TP.
Just a late follow up on this, been looking about on ebay lately. Have even found a long-term Australian HAM in QLD selling Chinese dual-band (reprogrammable) radios as a "Marine and UHF CB" radios... :| If the people who SHOULD know better are doing this, what hope is there?

EDIT: he tells me they are 'locked', however, they certainly aren't type approved.. (and really.. how locked is LOCKED?)
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

There is one in Perth as well. Selling "tri band handhelds" , these are unlocked and preprogrammed for Amateur frequencies(including 2m and 70cm repeaters) and the childrens band. Change a setting from name to frequency and you can go where you like 130 -174 mHz and 400 - 520 mHz. How do I know??? I bought one at hamfest. Since locked it to the amateur bands only (simple programming).
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Pirates predate ebay and unlocked radios, its not the equipment but the peanuts who misuse it.
Amateur Radio Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

VK6ZMS wrote:Pirates predate ebay and unlocked radios, its not the equipment but the peanuts who misuse it.
Well put.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

You can also buy certain amateur-specific radios and open them up by cutting a wire or removing a diode or two. Sometimes they are already like that when you buy them 2nd hand...
I guess if the abusers couldn't use the radios they'd be making fake 000 calls or something equally moronic
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two