Frequency Guide

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

VK6ZMS

Frequency Guide

Post by VK6ZMS »

Hi all
With a few new members joining our ranks I thought I would post this handy guide.

http://www.aesham.com/fundamentals/frequencies.html
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Thanks for that VK6ZMS - interesting read and good starting guide on what and where to find things!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

That's quite a well written article and puts the different bands into perspective.

Of course it's not a perfect fit, since it's written for US amateurs so the bands they're allowed don't exactly match ours, but as Meg says, a good starting point to see what's what and where's where ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

The reason I ended up on WARSUG was that I was making a spectrum plan for my own use, sort of like that link but for scanning in general. One problem I had was how I was going to present it. I tried spreadsheets and even HTML pages, but I eventually went with a mindmap after a contractor we use put me onto FreeMind. One of the factors was that it had to be fairly portable, which FreeMind is. After deciding to get my callsign again I wanted to do the same sort of thing but just for the ham spectrum.

So... I've got two projects that are sort of half done. I like it. Some people might not like it presented this way but it works for me. I did a couple of screen captures of each one. The first two images are of the spectrum and the second two are of the ham spectrum. If you aren't familiar with FreeMind or mindmapping, you can present what's on your mind in a visual way. It manages thoughts using a hierarchy (or 'tree' view) where you have a base concept and branching from that are sub-concepts and so on. The images should make it a bit clearer.

In the case of what I'm doing, you start of with 'the spectrum' which then branches out into the different bands such as HF, VHF etc. They branch out further to the different uses of the band. With freemind you click on each of these nodes to show or hide what they branch to, allowing you to see what you want to see and hide what you don't want to see. Eventually you end at a band or specific frequency. My intentions are mostly for bands and frequencies that are of interest to anybody living in Perth, although I stray from that idea a lot. Nodes can link to other nodes so you can link related items. Nodes can also link to web sites so you can click a node (eg ACARS) and open a web page (eg the ACARS wikipedia entry) Quite a bit of the information I added is from WARSUG. A lot is still missing and some of it is inaccurate. Once I get it fairly close to usable, I'll post it for anyone who wants to check it out for comments, corrections, bands or frequencies people want to add etc. Freemind is an open source project at sourceforge for Linux, Mac and windows

In the images, any node that has that little circle on the right-hand side means the node has more nodes attached (child nodes) but are currently hidden. You can also change things like font style and size, colour, the 'bubble' of the node. In my case I'm using background colour to signify what the band or frequency is used for, eg Light blue for ham, cyan for community radio, red for emergency etc. Icons also mean something.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Wow that's a heck of a project!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Yeah, the spectrum is a lot. Who new infinity was so big? :o I can send a copy to anyone that has FreeMind if they want to see what I've done so far.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the Ham map has branches for the difference licence classes, so if you click on "VHF/6m" there will be one branch for Advanced and another for Advance & Standard and obviously nothing for foundation. Also where a band (or part of a band) is a secondary service, it will be marked as such
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two