Moderator: VK6ZMS

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Yaesu FT7800R installation into BA Falcon

Post by Zebedee »

Folks,

I've been meaning to get around to doing this for a while since I've been asked a couple of times now about how my radio is installed in the car. So I got my camera out this morning and took some photos. All of the pictures in this post are clickable so you can see a larger version, without making the page take ages to load to begin with...

The vehicle is a standard BA Falcon sedan, and the radio is a Yaesu FT-7800R with the separation kit so the head unit can be mounted remotely.

Here's how it appears, as you look into the car - it's fairly discreet, so it doesn't stand out too much.

The head unit sits in the tissue box holder, held in place with a strip of double-sided tape on the underside. A small hole was cut into the back of the tissue box holder for the separation kit cable to run through.

The speaker is from an old Nokia car kit - I haven't run the cable for that properly yet, it's just appearing over the top of the centre console and then under to the front passenger seat. I'll get around to tidying that up one day!

Image Image

The cable runs under the centre console , re-appearing under the passenger seat, where the radio itself is mounted. The other cables that run here are power (direct from the car's battery) and the antenna cable. In each case, the cables run under the plastic trim. Like a lot of newer cars, they helpfully leave little channels here and there to run extra cables :)

Image Image

This is the antenna on the outside of the car. It's a 2m/70cm dual band steel whip antenna which I bought from Andrews Communications in Sydney.

The antenna is mounted on a bracket made by GME which is specifically shaped for a BA Falcon which is handy... They make them in driver's or passenger's side configuration.

Image Image Image

The antenna cable you can see above was run under some channel in the plastic grille, and it pokes out through a rubber elbow grommet and then cable-tied to handy bits of pipe-work to keep it all neat as it heads towards another grommet in the firewall so it can pass into the passenger cabin.

I decided I wanted the radio to be powered independently of the rest of the car's systems, so instead of taking the power from the accessories circuit, it has it's own wire running straight to the battery.

Of course the danger here is that you could leave the radio on and flatten the car battery overnight - so I've set the radio's timer to shut off after 1 hour of no use...

Image Image

Again, the power cable is cable-tied to other cables or pipes running towards the grommet in the firewall, so that everything's nice and neat and not flapping around in the engine bay. The grommet has a hole expertly punctured in it with a screwdriver :)

And that's it!

Holes required to do this - two in the bodywork where the antenna bracket is mounted, one in the elbow grommet for the antenna cable, one in the grommet in the firwall for the antenna and power cables, and one in the back of the tissue box holder for the separation kit cable. Total of five :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

You mention running a 12v power straight to the battery. I assume it's fused and has a toggled on/off switch?

Other than that, a very very tidy install. I need to get around to installing a UHF/similar radio of some sort in my Falcon. I have an earlier model but the interior and engine bay is almost a carbon copy of your BA (2002 AU).

Looks the goods! Nice and tidy!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Clontarf[X] wrote:You mention running a 12v power straight to the battery. I assume it's fused and has a toggled on/off switch?
Fuse - yep. In fact the inline fuse holder is visible just where the wire comes off the battery terminal. It's partially hidden under the small heater hoses in the picture.

Toggle switch - no. Not interested in that.

Thanks for the kind words though about the neatness of the install... However I can't claim the credit, my brother did just about all of it for me, he's much better at that kind of thing than I am ;)

It is very dark.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Obviously don't have kids then Zeb :wink: That install under the seat would be kicked out in seconds in our family wagon :lol:
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

auntys_eyes wrote:Obviously don't have kids then Zeb :wink: That install under the seat would be kicked out in seconds in our family wagon :lol:
Haha spot on :)

There's no reason why it couldn't have gone in the boot though, that'd work just as well. From memory there was plenty of cable that came with the separation kit for it to run all the way back there.

But under the seat seemed to be the easiest option at the time :)

It is very dark.
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

Last edited by VK6LD on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

vk6jrc wrote:Way too neat...! It should look something like this:
:smt119
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

What the???????? You CANNOT be serious! :shock:

Thanks for the lnks. :lol:
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Good god... :)

I used to have four antennae on my old car and I thought that was bad enough ;) (Car radio, UHF CB, Scanner, GSM phone)

It is very dark.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Yeah, I don't want my car to be called a porcupine any more! :shock:
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

WPXZBP wrote:What the???????? You CANNOT be serious! :shock:

Thanks for the lnks. :lol:
It almost looks like your bus Wes...! :lol:
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

Zebedee wrote:Good god... :)

I used to have four antennae on my old car and I thought that was bad enough ;) (Car radio, UHF CB, Scanner, GSM phone)
Check out the photo gallery on www.hamsexy.com for some more whacker mobiles!

I did tell Gav one time that I was going to put a pic of his old Commodore on there... 8)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

WPXZBP wrote:Yeah, I don't want my car to be called a porcupine any more! :shock:
Funnily enough that's what my SES mates call my car previously it was an alien because I had 2 magnetic bases at the back with 400MHz aerials. Bearing in mind I have a Hyundai Getz. Now i've got 2 aerial's next 2 each other by the bonnet. Same story as Gav though: Car radio, Mobile phone; UHF CB; Scanner...eventually No.5 for HAM but probably only when I've got my standard license.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Tyranus wrote:Now i've got 2 aerial's next 2 each other by the bonnet.
Have you checked the SWR of your CB antenna? Those two are so close you are likely getting interaction. I think the rule is - minimum of 1/4 wavelength between antennas (~158mm for UHF CB)
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

robbage wrote:
Tyranus wrote:Now i've got 2 aerial's next 2 each other by the bonnet.
Have you checked the SWR of your CB antenna? Those two are so close you are likely getting interaction. I think the rule is - minimum of 1/4 wavelength between antennas (~158mm for UHF CB)
Nope :) and I use the cb that infrequently...hardly ever! that if the other one or something is absorbing some of the radio waves or reflecting them then it doesn't matter.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.