Moderator: VK6ZMS

slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Where the Diamond X50A Antenna is sold?

Post by slipknot »

Hi Everyone.
Im sorry two open two topics asking where they sell things but im a little desperate at this point of time.

I was just woundering if anyone knows any stores Preferably in WA or if all else fails, country wide , where they sell the Diamond Antenna X50A or if thats not avalible, the X50M/N.

I have tried Andrews Comm in Sydney, they only offer their version of the antenna.

Also tried Prestige Communications, Tower communications, Hamshack. There not a chance in this world that Dick Smith Have it nor offer a good price.

is anyone able to Help me with this?
Thanks Guys.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Where the Diamond X50A Antenna is sold?

Post by ConstableCare »

slipknot wrote:Hi Everyone.
Im sorry two open two topics asking where they sell things but im a little desperate at this point of time.

I was just woundering if anyone knows any stores Preferably in WA or if all else fails, country wide , where they sell the Diamond Antenna X50A or if thats not avalible, the X50M/N.

I have tried Andrews Comm in Sydney, they only offer their version of the antenna.

Also tried Prestige Communications, Tower communications, Hamshack. There not a chance in this world that Dick Smith Have it nor offer a good price.

is anyone able to Help me with this?
Thanks Guys.
Try www.strictlyham.com.au and speak to Ross...

Cheers, CC 8)
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

Thanks Constable Care, Yep ive ordered one. Well 4 now. Thanks again!
Last edited by slipknot on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Buying anything communications related is an absolute joke in WA.

Now that DSE have pretty much wiped their entire communications range (anything from plugs to coax to radios) it is really a mission to source anything locally.

Recently I wanted what I thought was such a simple purchase: A replacement antenna for my GME TX6000 UHF CB handheld.

Well. Nobody north of the river sells them. Prestige have to 'order one in' and my only hope is Ken at WACB who seems to still stock them.

Last week I was trying to locate a SO-239 to TNC convertor so I can plug my handheld CB into a normal PL-259 plug antenna... Do you think I can find one? The guy at dick smith who I spoke to on the phone had never even heard of TNC. He said "mate, i've heard of BNC but not TNC"

This is becoming a joke. I hope more of these places like strictly ham and VK6NX's business hamshack.com.au come out of the woodwork... DSE seems only interested in selling brand name PC's to mum and dads these days...
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

Bonez wrote:Buying anything communications related is an absolute joke in WA.

Now that DSE have pretty much wiped their entire communications range (anything from plugs to coax to radios) it is really a mission to source anything locally.

Recently I wanted what I thought was such a simple purchase: A replacement antenna for my GME TX6000 UHF CB handheld.

Well. Nobody north of the river sells them. Prestige have to 'order one in' and my only hope is Ken at WACB who seems to still stock them.

Last week I was trying to locate a SO-239 to TNC convertor so I can plug my handheld CB into a normal PL-259 plug antenna... Do you think I can find one? The guy at dick smith who I spoke to on the phone had never even heard of TNC. He said "mate, i've heard of BNC but not TNC"

This is becoming a joke. I hope more of these places like strictly ham and VK6NX's business hamshack.com.au come out of the woodwork... DSE seems only interested in selling brand name PC's to mum and dads these days...
DSE used to be about electronics, and yes, now its turning into better electrical. a couple of years ago they used to sell Ameture radios, satelite transicvers and all.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Bonez wrote:I hope more of these places like VK6NX's business hamshack.com.au come out of the woodwork...
Someone mention joke's or joker's before?? :lol:

Did you try Jaycar? They still carry RF Connectors...

Cheers, CC 8)
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

ConstableCare wrote:
Bonez wrote:I hope more of these places like VK6NX's business hamshack.com.au come out of the woodwork...
Someone mention joke's or joker's before?? :lol:

Did you try Jaycar? They still carry RF Connectors...

Cheers, CC 8)
Altronics also have a small range of RF connectors. Mainly for RG58 and similar sized coax. There's not much around for the larger RG213 and alike in Perth at reasonable prices sadly.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

well no... :D. didnt know altronics existed before two days ago.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

DSE do N type plug for RG213 size. They actually seem to be of reasonable quality. Silver plated. Jaycar do have a mix of connectors, but I'm not impressed with the N type bulkhead. The insulation around the 'pin' melts very quickly. If you can afford it, one of these kits is very handy if you stuff around with RF. They have kits with more types but they cost big time
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

The other option for connectors is John Tower from Tower Communications. He supplies the "Gold" connectors - quite pricey but they don't melt like Rob mentioned happens with cheaper connectors!

http://www.tower.visionimage.com.au/

Cheers, CC 8)
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

I would only buy gold if they had more then a 20% improovement.
Sorry to change the subject. One thing that is good about the diamond range is that they have a cool warning sticker on the support pipe warning to "look up and live". Lets you know its a professional brand of antenna. Tried looking on google but couldnt find any good closeup pictures of it.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

On the other hand... people are willing to spend hundreds or thousands on transceivers, antennae, rotators, tuners and cable and then don't want to spend an extra $5 on a quality connector, which is where the whole shebang usually falls over first.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

slipknot wrote: Sorry to change the subject. One thing that is good about the diamond range is that they have a cool warning sticker on the support pipe warning to "look up and live". Lets you know its a professional brand of antenna.
Tandy/Radio Shack CB antennas used to have these stickers on them 25 years ago! :lol: