America's GMRS in Australia

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

herrgott

America's GMRS in Australia

Post by herrgott »

Please be in mind that I only understand the basics of radio communications. I'm fielding this question on behalf of my curious old man.

Right-o. If I were to purchase a US GMRS handheld pair of two-ways [which go for $70 and claim to reach 45km line of sight] for use in Australia, apart from being illegal, what would the effects be?
Would the radios work? Are there other services using the GMRS frequency here in [Western] Australia that would interfere with it? If some ignorant American happened to bring his to this country and start using it, is he going to be chased down by the authorities for this ignorant use / breach of law? I understand that using GMRS in Australia could interfere, but what is the actuality?

My UHFs are 2W and around 10km line of sight, costing around $300 for the pair of handhelds. Comparing that to the GMRS two-ways in use in the US blows me away - is there any reason why the legal boffins decided to limit us to <5W two-ways with short distances, especially considering the size of this country? And the crazy prices in Australia for our handheld UHF's compared to US prices?

Thanks for your time fielding a response for me. I know there's a few questions in there.
herrgott

Post by herrgott »

Perhaps answering my own question here, but looking at the frequency that GMRS runs on [462.550 through 462.750 from wikipedia] and then looking at Uniden's online frequency search tool which is at http://www.uniden.com.au/v3/search_page.htm for WA, it appears that there are some clashes with the frequencies listed [some clash, some aren't listed on Uniden's site so I'm assuming must be 'free']. Would the answer then be definitive that it's a 'maybe' regarding interfering with WA services?
Some frequencies are obviously used by certain agencies and clash with GMRS public and free frequencies that are meant for use in the US which would result in interfering with their services. Others perhaps aren't being used but may be at any time registered to somebody for their own use and would then begin to interfere?
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Getting 45 km out of handhelds is being overly optimistic without using a repeater. All these companies claim "upto" so many km from the radios in ideal circumstances. I can get 150 km from my 1 watt handheld if I stand on Bluff knoll and the other is on flat ground. The other problem is power, more power means bigger battery = more expense = more weight = bigger radio's.
The other problem is OH&S. Who wants high RF power against their head.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Check out http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/regis ... .main_page which is the ACMA's register of licences. Don't make the assumption that if a frequency has nobody listed that the frequency is "free" to use. You could get pinged for using a military, AFP or other organisation's frequenices. You also need to ensure you have a licence to operate on that frequency otherwise you could get pinged for operating without a licence. (Depends on whether it's class, apparatus or spectrum licencing.)

I'm no lawyer but I would give this advice.... don't use them!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

The general situation in Australia is that the use of any radiofrequency spectrum has to be licenced.

CB radios here are covered under a "class licence" - that is, a licence doesn't have to be issued to an indivudual.

But these GMRS radios wouldn't be licenced here under such a system, so unless the operator obtained a licence from ACMA to use the frequencies that the radio transmits on, then it would be illegal to use them here.

That's my (very basic) understanding. I echo Wes' opinion ... don't do it :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
herrgott

Post by herrgott »

Thank you kindly for your informative replies, guys.

Your suggestions to not use them are needless - I was/am looking for the information out of curiosity, not to purchase some of them for use. I'm not in the business where I can afford to be done for flouting the law, if you know what I mean. But I appreciate it all the same.

Nick, you make a few good points in your post that I hadn't thought about. I guess the American's don't mind pounding their skulls with radio waves.

Any idea why the powers that be have set handhelds at a 5W maximum?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

herrgott wrote:Any idea why the powers that be have set handhelds at a 5W maximum?
Methinks it might be due to the limitations of portable battery power. Even if battery power could give out, say, 100W, the heat generated in the process would require you to wear gloves and a face shield to prevent you getting scorched.
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

WPXZBP wrote:
herrgott wrote:Any idea why the powers that be have set handhelds at a 5W maximum?
Methinks it might be due to the limitations of portable battery power. Even if battery power could give out, say, 100W, the heat generated in the process would require you to wear gloves and a face shield to prevent you getting scorched.
No it wouldnt.... But it will "warm your feet"
vk6ngs
Amateur callsign: vk6ngs
Scanners and Receivers: FTDX-3000 IC-7100 Radio shack dx-394 AOR AR8600MK2 AOR AR8200D

Post by vk6ngs »

100 watts from a handheld would burn you,its called RF burns.Its covered in the amateur regs,safety section.It says the minimum height for base antenna putting out 100watts is 30ft.I can tell you from experience that holding a antenna putting out 100+watts isnt a pleasant feeling :shock:
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

100 watts into 50 ohms is only 70 volts @ 1.4 amps :wink:

Seriously though kids do not try that at home.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

We are dealing with rf. Simple ohms law does not apply. We have to deal with Q factors and impedance points on the antenna. I can easily demonstrate that 100 watts will light a 40w fluorescent light at 1 metre through the air. In fact I do this when ever I demonstrate why the HF antennae used by emergency services/military has a warning to keep at least 2 metres from antenna during transmission. As the frequency increases it takes less power to penetrate the human body. 2450 mHz is the frequency used by microwave ovens. 5mW is the maximum power allowed to leak from an oven. Guess why.........
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

ohms law is relevant those other factors will sway results but not to a huge degree. RF is AC current at a high frequency.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I was actually talking about the heat dissipated by the finals in the hand-held. I wasn't referring to the RF side of things.

:-s
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Imagine if it was transmitting every now and then while held against your body 16 hours a day (or 24 hours if you're a teen) every day of the year

You could end up like this. Brain dead
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Wearing glasses like that (:smt078) would make me think blind also.