Foundation Licence

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Well I'm a professional so I should be calling them aerials :P :lol: I hate using antenna's I keep thinking I'm going to spell it wrong for some reason.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

I agree with Wes. Antenna to me is the more correct.

Look at www.dictionary.com and type in aerial and then antenna.

For the explanation of aerial it says A Radio or TV antenna as the 11th definition.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

A rose is a rose by any other name. I see arial/aeriel/ariel spelled wrong more often than antenna. I see antennas used more often than antennae as well. grr
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I'm enrolled at Ham College in September to do the Foundation license :D

Picked up the radio from my workmate this weekend, I think it's waaaaay too much radio for me at the moment. It's a Yaesu FT-990 - 100 watts and doesn't seem to do 70cm or 2m. Also it's minus an antenna.

So, I'm looking at getting a cheap handheld 2m (possibly one of these Quangshengs)
http://www.hamshack.com.au/index.php?pr=Quansheng
and will move onto the Yaesu once I've got some more experience, and also I think I'll need more than a foundation license to use the >10m frequencies.

If anyone can recommend an antenna for the Yaesu please let me know, may start by just listening to it. Will have to figure out how to turn the power down on it too - it's adjustable up to 100w.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

meg wrote:I'm enrolled at Ham College in September to do the Foundation license :D

Picked up the radio from my workmate this weekend, I think it's waaaaay too much radio for me at the moment. It's a Yaesu FT-990 - 100 watts and doesn't seem to do 70cm or 2m. Also it's minus an antenna.

So, I'm looking at getting a cheap handheld 2m (possibly one of these Quangshengs)
and will move onto the Yaesu once I've got some more experience, and also I think I'll need more than a foundation license to use the >10m frequencies.

If anyone can recommend an antenna for the Yaesu please let me know, may start by just listening to it. Will have to figure out how to turn the power down on it too - it's adjustable up to 100w.
Don't buy the Quansheng - they limit you to one band as I have been told by many Ham friends!

Check out - http://strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Handheld/IC-P7A.htm.

Cheers, CC
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Thanks for that CC - I'm very keen for any advice!

I don't suppose you know of any handhelds that are D-star capable? As a computer geek at heart, I'm interested in this and the other digitl/packet stuff that's about.

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Meg

For antennae a lot will depend on space. If you can get a yagi or a cubical quad on a 45 foot mast then great - do it! If not maybe a multi-band dipole (eg Bushcomm make them) or nested set of delta loops might help. If all else fails try something like a TET vertical, Outbacker vertical or even a High Sierra style tuneable antenna.

Have a look at K7AGE on youtube. He has a few videos on PSK31 and Hellschreiber if you're interested in digital modes.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Currently Icom have 3 handhelds which can be DStar capable by the addition of the DStar board.

I believe Foundation License holders cannot use DStar or Digital Modes like packet psk31 etc but can receive of course. So to use them on transmit would require a Standard or Advanced license.

For an antenna as mentioned it depends on a lot of things. Space available, frequency you wish to operate, amount available to spend. Trapped dipole probably as good a starting antenna as any I suppose.
meg

Post by meg »

Thanks again for the advice all - I'll check out the Icom D-star handhelds (minus board for the moment!) and start investigating how I'll mount an antenna. We have plenty of space so price might be the big factor.
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

Hi
Good to hear another person is joining the ranks!
There is a wealth of stuff on this site.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/

Cheers
Martin
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:I'm enrolled at Ham College in September to do the Foundation license :D
Awesome! You'll have fun I'm sure :)
meg wrote:So, I'm looking at getting a cheap handheld 2m (possibly one of these Quangshengs)
The first radios I bought were the Quanshengs - as CC says, they're either 2m or 70cm, so if you want to do both bands you need two radios.

But for what they cost, I reckon they're pretty good as a starting out radio.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
meg

Post by meg »

Thankyou all again :-)

I'm now thinking perhaps the Icom IC-V82 - I'd like to have the future upgrade path for D-star, not really sure that having both 2m and 70cm is essential though?
http://strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Handheld/IC-V82.htm

Time to do more reading on the two bands!

Cheers to all of you!
Meg
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

How about an IC7800 for a starting radio?? :P :lol:
http://strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Base/IC-7800.htm

Edit: For those not quite certain, yes I was being sarcastic then, look at the price!!!!! That cost more than my car!!!!!!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:Thankyou all again :-)

I'm now thinking perhaps the Icom IC-V82 - I'd like to have the future upgrade path for D-star, not really sure that having both 2m and 70cm is essential though? Meg
Different parts of Australia seem to prefer 2m or 70cm so having a radio that's capable of both is an asset. In Perth, 2m is significantly more popular than 70cm, although there's slowly more people jumping onto 70cm every now and then.

But I'm led to believe that on the eastern seaboard, 70cm is just as, if not more popular than 2m...

One of the things that 2m suffers from that 70cm doesn't is interference from pagers, which is bloody frustrating when you work in the CBD ;)

But then again 70cm can also suffer interference from LIPDs, so I guess it's all horses for courses.

If you can get a radio that does both 2m and 70cm, it puts you in the best spot I reckon as you can jump between the two bands to suit wherever you are and what the local conditions are.

That's how I've organised myself anyway and it works for me ... but you'll have to decide if it works for you as well ;)

It is very dark.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Tyranus wrote:How about an IC7800 for a starting radio?? :P :lol:
http://strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Base/IC-7800.htm
Yes please!!! Anyone who wants to buy me one is more than welcome to! :)

It is very dark.