I'm finally going to do it

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Streetvision

I'm finally going to do it

Post by Streetvision »

Well i started out with a scanner, that i kinda was interested in since i was younger. then i brought a cb, which as fate would have it mr.vk6hgr was there for, i kinda set it up at home and got on it. it was ok, there just seems to be how can i say it a lot of "interesting" people on it. anyway i was playing around with the idea, or getting licensed, and since some personal stuff has happened in my life ive been away from the whole radio thing, but im back now and eager to get licensed. but i have a few questions (here we go AGAIN lol)

This whole echolink / IRLP thing. now as i understand echolink works kinda like teamspeak, you use your computer and headset mic you just talk like you're on the radio. where as irlp you actually use your radio to link repeaters together. am i correct here? because using your computer doesn't seem to fun, i use to play games online so im used to vents/TS ect.

I was thinking once i get licenced i might get a Yaesu FT-7800R, can i use that to do the linking of the nodes ect? (not to sure on foundation friendly radios) im guessing 70cm 2m is where most new people start out altho gavin was talking about some radio and a coat hanger.

lastly, i would like to go to like a seminar type thing, i have that entry into amateur radio book but still would like to attend a course type thing, im northside, in the kingsley/greenwood area. anyone know who i can contact?

anything i need to know, ect?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: I'm finally going to do it

Post by vk6hgr »

Streetvision wrote: This whole echolink / IRLP thing. now as i understand echolink works kinda like teamspeak, you use your computer and headset mic you just talk like you're on the radio. where as irlp you actually use your radio to link repeaters together. am i correct here?
That's it. IRLP, Echolink etc uses the Internet for linking but you can use a Internet link using an ordinary radio through an ordinary repeater.
I was thinking once i get licenced i might get a Yaesu FT-7800R, can i use that to do the linking of the nodes ect? (not to sure on foundation friendly radios) im guessing 70cm 2m is where most new people start out altho gavin was talking about some radio and a coat hanger.
Hehe. A FT-7800R is a very nice radio (I have the 8900R). What I wa saying was, if you're trying to start out and don't have a heap of money to spare, you can get on air with a ex-commercial radio and a simple antenna for around $50 or so.
lastly, i would like to go to like a seminar type thing, i have that entry into amateur radio book but still would like to attend a course type thing, im northside, in the kingsley/greenwood area. anyone know who i can contact?
http://www.warg.org.au/hamcollege/
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
WPXZBP

Re: I'm finally going to do it

Post by WPXZBP »

Streetvision wrote:I was thinking once i get licenced i might get a Yaesu FT-7800R, can i use that to do the linking of the nodes ect? (not to sure on foundation friendly radios) im guessing 70cm 2m is where most new people start out altho gavin was talking about some radio and a coat hanger.
For me, the WIA would be your first port of call for info.

If you're interested, I've got an FT90R here I'm willing to sell. (Got an FT100 that's going into the car - it's got HF, VHF & UHF so the FT90 becomes redundant.) Remote head kit is included.

Send me a PM if you're interested. :)
Streetvision

Post by Streetvision »

WPXZBP, as gavin suggested money is a little tight atm, i need to access my money situation over the next few weeks. so if your going to sell it, sell it.

Well, it seems most of my questions have been answered by mr.vk6hardcore :P

It sucks how the tests and exams are so far apart :S i thought you could like go for your exam anytime.

I'm kinda scared, its like exam time in highschool, and what if i dont pass i'd look like a complete moron.

What exactly happens in the foundation exam, you sit a multiple choice and then a technical one? im guessing they make you put together a radio, connect mic and ect.

Sorry for so many questions.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Yep, it's pretty much 30 multiple choice questions, then a practical exam.

During the practical they sit you down and ask you to connect an entire radio setup.

Eg, power supply > radio > swr meter > antenna etc etc.
You need to know how to connect everything up safely and correctly.

They will also do an on-air test where you have to talk to another station, most likely on a simplex frequency, just to make sure you understand the on-air procedures and the like.

Don't be scared, it's not hard to do and even 10 year old boy scouts pass it just so they can get an amateur radio badge that sits next to their cooking badge :-)

I don't like to sound cocky but I got a 100% first time pass, and all of the other people I went in with got around 80% or more.

Just study the book and practice hands on, and you will be fine.