Going Straight to Standard. How can I brush up on my knowledge before jumping into a course?

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Going Straight to Standard. How can I brush up on my knowledge before jumping into a course?

Post by roland985 »

After discussions with people at the SES Comms Support Unit, I've decided to skip foundation and go straight for a standard license.

I'm bored with just listening to Amateur comms or using 27Mhz SSB/477Mhz UHFCB and want to start getting involved with the fun stuff that amateur radio gives us.

After looking at the license trainingsyllabus that the WIA have published, I have a baseline knowledge of all the information, but I will need help brushing up my knowledge regarding both the mathematics and the algebra used. Any pointers?
WASES CSU
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Going Straight to Standard. How can I brush up on my knowledge before jumping into a course?

Post by Zebedee »

Are you planning on self studying and then sitting the exams, or doing a face to face course?

Just so you're aware, you'll need to sit three assessments - standard theory, regulations and a stand alone practical.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Re: Going Straight to Standard. How can I brush up on my knowledge before jumping into a course?

Post by roland985 »

Definitely doing a face to face course
WASES CSU
VK6ZMS

Post by VK6ZMS »

I hope to hear you on air soon.
As for resources the Radio and Electronics School offer an online course :

http://www.res.net.au/

To see what questions you may be asked here are few trial exams.
https://amateurradio.com.au/licence/sta ... ial-exam-1

In the meantime please call past and visit the HARG, a friendly supportive Perth Amateur Radio club.

www.harg.org.au
Amateur Radio Moderator