430Mhz for RC control

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

yorky

430Mhz for RC control

Post by yorky »

Hi all!

Thought I would pose the question about the total minefield that is RC FPV.

Now from my reading a lot of the control and video frequencies used fall into or need to be covered by some sort of amateur license. But the web/forums digs up a lot of arm chair experts from all over the world so it's hard to get a straight answer (preferably with proof).

Personally I'm looking at using this RC transmitter which frequency hops through 431-438Mhz at 200/500mW. They also have a 459Mhz version available which is apparently legal without a license in the UK (what about Aus?).

Now I do see that 420-450Mhz is allocated to hams so it clearly falls within the need for a license. But would a foundation license cover that?

And most entry level video transmitter gear is 5.8Ghz ranging from 200mW up past 1W of power (although that's overkill), what is the limit on power output? Antenna gain would be another issue as well.

Oh and with video I'm guessing you'll need to broadcast your station name, but that can't be done with the RC control link as its just data.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: 430Mhz for RC control

Post by Zebedee »

Well isn't that a lovely can of worms that just opened ;)

You're right - 430-450MHz is the amateur 70cm band. However inside there is something called the "LIPD Band" (LIPD standing for Low Interference Potential Devices). ACMA have some info on it here. I don't know whether RC aircraft would count as LIPD devices or not though. It's probably an area where there'll be lots of yes it is / no it isn't argument :)

The one thing I can answer though is that the Foundation licence won't cover what you're looking to do. That licence is restricted in the types of transmissions you can make. You can do Morse Code, AM voice, Single Sideband voice and FM voice and that's about it. You can't do any kind of digital mode, so no telemetry or telecommand stuff. You also can't send video under a Foundation licence.

For wideband emissions (video etc) you're likely to need an Amateur Advanced licence if you're going down that route...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes the worms are escaping as we speak. Yes I was pretty sure that transmitting video over any ham bands would be advanced territory so I don't think I'll be doing that (commonly sold for video long range is 1.3Ghz). Although the 5.8Ghz gear is marketed as not requiring a license and is the most common sold.

There are so many people saying a foundation is all that's required for RC control in UHF 433Mhz so its very confusing. Guess I'll stick to 2.4Ghz for control for now, range isn't too bad.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

yorky wrote:There are so many people saying a foundation is all that's required for RC control in UHF 433Mhz so its very confusing.
Yeah they're only thinking about it from the perspective of frequency and for that part they're right. You can transmit on 433MHz on a Foundation licence.

But you can only transmit hand-keyed Morse code or voice. You can't transmit data of any kind.

Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.