Pre Purchasing Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio discussion

Moderator: VK6ZMS

Reevesy89

Pre Purchasing Radio Equipment

Post by Reevesy89 »

Hey guys,

I am hoping to get my foundation licence.

I have been reading through the threads, and noticed that people are buying ham gear in anticipation of getting licensed. Aren't you required to have the licence prior to making the purchased?

If not, then what is stopping pirates from buying gear?
Bonez

Re: Pre Purchasing Radio Equipment

Post by Bonez »

You aren't allowed to be in possession of equipment that can TX on a band you aren't licensed for.
When buying Amateur gear from a reputable Australian shop, they should ask to see your license, or ask your callsign and look you up.

Unfortunately eBay is full of radios from China that can TX in the Amateur band, and there's nothing to stop anyone buying one.
Reevesy89

Post by Reevesy89 »

So you're saying even though I am completely unlicenced I could buy a radio of ebay? That's crazy. Is there a lot of pirates out there atm?
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Correct, anyone can buy these radios off eBay.

I've had my foundation license since it was first introduced in 2006, but I let it expire in 2012, and only just recently re-applied for it in the last couple of weeks.
Have been doing a bit of listening and there doesn't seem to be any pirates around, mind you I don't listen 24/7... I haven't heard much interference lately anyway.

It does happen from time to time though.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

There's two situations at play here ... what the law says and what actually happens :)

I believe that years ago the onus was on the person selling the gear to make sure they were selling to an appropriately licenced person. I'm not sure when it changed (or even if that was the case to begin with or whether it was just common practice) but now the responsibility is on the buyer not the seller.

So we can imagine how well THAT works! :)

Now, it's your responsibility to only have a radio that can transmit on bands that you are licenced for. This doesn't stop you from buying a radio from eBay that can operate on amateur frequencies. It also doesn't stop you from buying from an Australian dealer - none of the ones I've seen say anything on their websites about not selling to someone who can't produce a licence. Some people (dealers or buying privately) may choose to do this but to the very best of my knowledge there's no actual legal requirement to do so. (After all, the only person with the legal authority to demand to see your licence is an ACMA Radio Inspector...)

This doesn't, however, mean it's turning into a free for all. Someone who does buy a ham radio can probably fly under the radar if they don't actually use it to transmit. Is that legal? Technically no because the offence is having a radio that's [/capable/] of transmitting, whether or not they actually do. But from a practical sense, will anyone a) know or b) care? Probably not...

Hit the TX button though and start talking on air without an appropriate licence - THAT's when people start to notice and care and put in reports to the ACMA...

So reevesy89 - when are you coming to do a Foundation course? =D>
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Reevesy89

Post by Reevesy89 »

As soon as I can. The problem is I am going to be starting a new job in a few weeks and have to figure out the roster. I have been wanting to get into the amateur bands for years. As a kid I had a 27mhz cb, and a huge old receiver that I would play around with up in the territory. Just moved down to Perth again and jumped on the UHF cb and heard the crap that goes on there and decided I need to upgrade.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Reevesy89 wrote:As soon as I can. The problem is I am going to be starting a new job in a few weeks and have to figure out the roster.
Yeah new job + uncertain roster could make it tricky. See if you can swing the 21/22 June off work, that's the next available Foundation course at www.hamcollege.com.au - that's how most people in Perth get started...
Just moved down to Perth again and jumped on the UHF cb and heard the crap that goes on there and decided I need to upgrade.
The crap you hear on CB is the best recruiting campaign ever for amateur radio I reckon :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

Ahh Yes, It's always exciting to get the shack up and running alll ready for your new licence.

Just saying people.....I'm sure there's worse off crimes in this world then buying a radio a week before your licence.

Not trolling here but Some random examples could include:

The shooting down of MH17.
The bombing of UN schools in Gaza.
The murder of Daniel Morecombe.
the columbine shootings in 1999.
Making a malicious false mayday call on marine distress frequencies.
One punch kills.

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm not saying, go ahead and buy it without a licence, but bare in mind, technical it is illegal, but then again so is parking your car without a ticket.