Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Listening to Amateur Radio using Sangean ATS-909

Post by Nosferatu »

I can't believe that I could listen to some amateur radios using the world band radio Sangean ATS-909 which is intended for listening to Shortwave Broadcast.

I just found out that the radio also does USB and LSB mode.

I was listening on the 40 meters band ( 7.058 MHz LSB mode ) and catch these 2 amateurs chatting and then they send each other some digital data ( pictures ) which produce some loud noise. I believe that the pictures was some sort of 'aerofoil' or something like that.

It took me a while to fine tune the signal so I can listen to them clearly (which was on LSB mode). I couldn't quite catch the call sign if of the other guy but I heard that one of them was VK6ATI. 8)
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Listening to Amateur Radio using Sangean ATS-909

Post by Blinky »

Nosferatu wrote:I can't believe that I could listen to some amateur radios using the world band radio Sangean ATS-909 which is intended for listening to Shortwave Broadcast.

I just found out that the radio also does USB and LSB mode.

I was listening on the 40 meters band ( 7.058 MHz LSB mode ) and catch these 2 amateurs chatting and then they send each other some digital data ( pictures ) which produce some loud noise. I believe that the pictures was some sort of 'aerofoil' or something like that.

It took me a while to fine tune the signal so I can listen to them clearly (which was on LSB mode). I couldn't quite catch the call sign if of the other guy but I heard that one of them was VK6ATI. 8)
They would have been sending Digital SSTV (Slow Scan TV) probably using EasyPal. They are on most weekdays, usually on 3560 but seems they have changed to 40 metres as conditions improve. There are usually a few of them on. Tony VK6ATI lives in Safety Bay.

Here is a link to a couple of US hams using EasyPal http://youtu.be/fAFsFHeUJrY

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

Nosferatu wrote:It took me a while to fine tune the signal so I can listen to them clearly (which was on LSB mode). I couldn't quite catch the call sign if of the other guy but I heard that one of them was VK6ATI. 8)
I was also listening to the conversation - The other station was in Rockingham and Manjimup also joined in.

Cheers.
Last edited by VK6LD on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

Now I understand why I couldn't quite hear what the other guy (VK6FGL) said because he was further away from where I was listening to. :smt023
But, yeah, I was just supprised that I can use my shortwave World Band Radio to listen to Amateurs. \:D/

Anyway, I just finished a course on Amateur Radio Foundation License and did the exam last weekend. So I'm a real beginner :-k I'm curious on the 40 meters band plan. So, what's the deal with the secondary service (7.200 MHz to 7.300 MHz) I notice that at night it's crowded with the Shortwave Radio Broadcasts. What if we interfere with them ? After all the 40 Meters Band is belong to Amateur Radio. Will they get upset if we squash them ? :smt017

Cheer's :D
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Secondary service means that Amateurs have to work around any stations that are already there and not create interference to them. It's unlikely that an amateur's 400W signal will "squash" a many kW or MW broadcast station unless someone is listening from away from the broadcaster and the amateur signal is relatively close.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Nosferatu wrote:Now I understand why I couldn't quite hear what the other guy (VK6FGL) said because he was further away from where I was listening to
Distance isn't necessarily a factor at those frequencies. It's possible that VK6FGL was passing straight over you. He may also have been using less power or have a directional antenna that was pointing away from you.
Well done getting the licence. You have 4 HF bands to play with now. It's surprising what you can do with 10 watts if you have the right antenna system and good conditions.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
VK6ADF
Amateur callsign: VK6ADF

Post by VK6ADF »

Nosferatu wrote:Now I understand why I couldn't quite hear what the other guy (VK6FGL) said because he was further away from where I was listening to
I know both VK6ATI and VK6FGL. They live about 2 kilometres from each other, if that. Frank's antenna does not perform as well as the antenna Tony uses. Frank has to use an ATU and does not fully modulate the radio when he speaks. So his output power is always lower on voice.

On digital modes the output power is usually reduced to protect the radio. So would depend on what output they pick.

A good antenna is one of the best things you can do for your station Whether it be a receive only or transmit.
73 Phil VK6ADF
Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

WPXZBP wrote:Secondary service means that Amateurs have to work around any stations that are already there and not create interference to them. It's unlikely that an amateur's 400W signal will "squash" a many kW or MW broadcast station unless someone is listening from away from the broadcaster and the amateur signal is relatively close.
Hello WPXZBP, yeah thank's for the information, I understand how it works now :smt045
On bad situation that I can think of is, for example we are in the secondary service peacefully chatting away with out mates and then suddenly it's the shortwave broadcast time and the broadcast stations 'squash' us and we can't inform mates to move to different frequency because we got cut off by the broadcast station. But then, I supposed we should stay clear of the secondary service at night because we already know that they are broadcasting during that time.

@Everyone else who posted on this thread : Thank's for the responses and informations :smt023