27.506 MHz RTTY?

Shortwave listening. BBC World Service, Deutsche Welle etc

Moderator: Tyranus

SOL

27.506 MHz RTTY?

Post by SOL »

Good day all! My first thread.
I'll keep it short. Listen HF a fair bit , have a couple of radio's Winradio G303i and an FRG-100. I don't usually scan the 27MHz region but the other day I was listening the marine band and thought I'd wander down to the CB band and have a listen. At approx 27.506 Mhz I picked up a fairly strong signal that sounded a lot like RTTY. My best efforts to decode failed. I've never heard commercial traffic in this area of the band before. It is still there today and loud.
Does anyone have any idea what this station is and what mode it's transmitting in?

Noel Taylor
Domestos

Post by Domestos »

Hello SOL,
it's very possible that you may have heard slow scan tv, get yourself a copy of MMSSTV and see if you can decode the signal - by the way you din't happen to record what you heard ?

In the past I have decoded many SSTV signals on 27.555 and other frequencies in the same area.

John/Eaton
ICQ NUMBER 284739081
SOL

SSTV ON 27MHz

Post by SOL »

Thanks for the reply Domestos. Definitely not SSTV I've been picking up.
I listen to a lot of SSTV on 14.230MHz and it's a totally different signal.
To me it sounds like RTTY (FSK). Have you been able to pick it up?
Tune to 27.505 MHz, it should be center frequency or try 27.504 on USB.
I've gone through just about every combo of setting using MTTY with out luck. :(
A mystery....
Again Thanks :)
SOL
Noel Taylor
Domestos

Post by Domestos »

I'll monitor the frequency and let you know - using a FRG7 and a long wire, is there any time I should be listening ?

John
ICQ NUMBER 284739081
SOL

Post by SOL »

I used to tell my wife that the the musketeers names were Athos, Porthos and Domestos :? No wonder she never takes me seriously 8)
How do like the FRG7? Not a bad radio for their age. I bought my FRG-100 new and never looked back, still use it today. :D
Back to biz. The signal is present most of the day, somtimes a bit stronger in the morning but I find that radio local radio propagation dictates the strength.
I think you would be unlucky not to pick it in some form most parts of the day.
Let us know how you go. :)

SOL
Noel Taylor
Digi Dave
Scanners and Receivers: Alfa international

Re: 27.506 MHz RTTY?

Post by Digi Dave »

Hi all, first post here, I'm hearing this RTTY consitantly for the last few hours in Melbourne and as previously mentioned it is non standard in that the Hi/low offset is not 170hz (most common) but appears to be about 120Hz. I have tried both HRD DM780 and MMTTY with no luck, anybody know of any other decoders that have selectable Mark / Space tone offsets?

- Dave
emedxer
Scanners and Receivers: Icom R75, Icom R7000

Re: 27.506 MHz RTTY?

Post by emedxer »

Hi folks,

Sorry about the delay replying.

This is a (Datawell) Wave-rider buoy that belongs to the WA Dept of Transport. I think this was the one at Cottesloe (actually at Swanbourne): it's now on 27.655.

The waverider locations in southwest WA can be found by clicking on the relevant link(s) at:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/ ... urrent.asp

During the last few weeks I've travelled to a few sites up to 400 km from Perth to check on the waverider buoy frequencies in use. These are :

Jurien Bay 27.715

Cottesloe 27.655
Rottnest 1 27.715
Rottnest 2 27.505

Mandurah 27.600

Cape Naturaliste 27.715

Albany 27.715

Esperance (default freq.) 27.715 (to be confirmed)

These will be heard via Sporadic-E in SA, and within WA, but probably no further.

regards,

Tony