Aviation HF

Shortwave listening. BBC World Service, Deutsche Welle etc

Moderator: Tyranus

SOL

Re: Aviation HF

Post by SOL »

Thanks for the info. :D I new that the aircraft had a secondary channel assigned but not much else.
I remember many moons ago that there were huge amounts of traffic on HF, both local and international. One could always get traffic from planes as they flew between Carnarvon, Geraldton and Perth. These days with the expanded VHF network I get most of the traffic on the scanner and at quite some distance. Does Air Services use repeaters :?:
Last Year I picked up an Air New Zealand Jet that was having quite a casual conversation and asking for the rugby scores. I looked at the Perth Airport live flight data and it showed the New Zealand Jet over the bight just passed the WA boarder heading into Perth. Didn't think that any plane would be received at that distance on VHF. I was impressed :)
Enough waffle from me.

Sol
Noel Taylor
Robb

Post by Robb »

I would like to add that the primary frequency does change at night too, 8867 daytime the 5643 at night so therefore when 5643 becomes the primary then 8867 is secondary.
Happy scanning,

Robb Wise,
Scanning Tasmania
www.scanningtasmania.org
Uniden UBC9000XLT & UBCD 996 & 396T. Icom RX7. SW: Sangean ATS 505 & 909
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Robb wrote:I would like to add that the primary frequency does change at night too, 8867 daytime the 5643 at night so therefore when 5643 becomes the primary then 8867 is secondary.
thats for the South Eastern Quadran however.

In Perth its 6565 and 8822
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!