Newbie question (Bunbury area)

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Beachie

Newbie question (Bunbury area)

Post by Beachie »

My first post so please excuse any faux pas :)

I recently bought a Uniden 72XLT, I've been picking up the Police, Taxis, Air traffic etc. I've just picked up the following frequencies (in quick sucession) via the 'Close Call" system on the scanner but I can't find who/what they are. Any help would be appreciated.

ps. My location is Bunbury near St John's Hospital on the Bussell Hwy.

Thanks in advance

Beachie
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Possibly Rail Network and private, resource, mining, farming companies in your area according to listing on "Australian Scanner Frequencies" CD that came with my scanner...

I put in a search from the lowest and highest frequency you listed...

You might also find the Port Authority around the frequency range you listed.

Hope this helps
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

What sort of traffic are you hearing on those frequencies?

Also, how close to the Hospital are you? Crosslands/college grove/withers etc?
Beachie

Post by Beachie »

Hi Westernwedgey and Bonez

Only white noise on the frequencies, but they seemed very strong signals and all four in quick sucession, maybe 10-15 seconds apart. They've not reappeared for quite a while now.

I'm in College Grove (just over 1km as the crow flies from Hosp)

I wondered if it may be someone or something passing by on the Bussell Hwy.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

It's quite possible that the noise you are hearing is just interference from the many consumer devices in your house as well as others.

As scanners are extremely wide band recievers they are very sensitive and will pick up things that aren't really there (or supposed to be there).

Computers are a good example, if you use your scanner near the computer and attempt to listen to just about anything in the VHF bands you will come across quite a lot of interference on random frequencies.

Here's a link that you might find useful. http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/regis ... .main_page

That is the ACMA radio comms database. You can search for just about anything. Next time you hear something on a frequency and you want to know what it is, change the dropdown box to "Registrations" then the next one over to "Frequency (mhz)" and then type the frequency in the search field and press go.

Another cool thing you can do is search by postcode, so you can stick in 6230 and then it will take you through everything that is registered in your area.

P.S I used to live in Somerville drive so that's why I know the area so well :) I'm in Perth now.
Beachie

Post by Beachie »

Hello again Bonez

Many thanks for the site link, looks brilliant.

I've just moved into College Grove (Somerville too !!!) from Australind.

All the very best
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

G'Day Beachie can I help you with anything in Bunbury.Have been listening here for 30 years(originally with modified FM radios ).
Located (until next week) in South Bunbury.