New to Scanning community, live North of river.

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Mad-Benz
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden ubc355xlt

New to Scanning community, live North of river.

Post by Mad-Benz »

How ya goin guys? My names Mitch, i live in Butler 6036, so pretty out in the stix as far as reception goes. ive got a Uniden UBC355XLT desktop scanner, and im currently running the stock piece of wire antenna that it came with, obviously not picking up anyting really. im a complete newby to this so my knowledge of this subject is way messed up. i was devistated to find out about the cops goin digital!! but ive been listening to some online streaming scanners latley (such as the transit guards) and am really enjoying it. ive found some really intersting threads on this forum and have got some good information regarding frequencies and stuff. so at this point im wondering what info you pros can give me about getting an antenna to make my scanner pickup? and also if there are any frequencies that would be stronger and good listening in my area? i also have a handheld 40ch uhf but that again doesnt pickup that well, i can only hear people talking but cant transmit? im assuming this is because of my shitty geographic!! anyway guys any info ya can send my way would be greatly appreciated!!
yorky

Re: New to Scanning community, live North of river.

Post by yorky »

Hi Mitch, welcome to the board :)

Yes its not very busy radio wise up that way, but there are still a few things you could listen into. As you say Police (and now St John's) are no longer analogue.

Off the top of my head you should get FESA, and maybe buses (Path Transit being the closest). FESA try Wanneroo repeater on 78.075 or one of the new channels 164.000

Path Transit here: http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t= ... 360#p84360

Antenna wise the higher the better, I haven't looked at what connection it is so can't recommend anything.

The CB chances are there is just no one near by enough to respond to you, as it would have a limited range. You can always try Channel 1 (Wanneroo repeater) and make sure the CB is in repeater mode for that channel!
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Mad-Benz

Post by Mad-Benz »

Hey thanks mate! appreciate it! im gonna get an antenna hooked up this weekend. so ill see how that goes with making it any better. cheers for ya input.
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

Interested in aviation, Mr Benz?
Mad-Benz

Post by Mad-Benz »

Yeah mate ill listen to anything.
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

Being that far north puts you closer to Pearce.

118.3 Tower
130.2 Approach
135.9 Departures
Mad-Benz

Post by Mad-Benz »

cheers buddy ill give it a go
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

You can also try 119.5, 119.7, 133.1, 134.6 and 134.8. These ones don't usually crank up on a weekend, though: they train Monday to Friday then take weekends off.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

you might be able to pick up planes in the area on 135.25 (but you wont hear perth radar), and when i get a chance i'll look around for the melbourne centre frequency thats nearby
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nafenn wrote:you might be able to pick up planes in the area on 135.25 (but you wont hear perth radar), and when i get a chance i'll look around for the melbourne centre frequency thats nearby

Melbourne Center Frequency's out that way are

ML-DAL (Dally) on 125.200
ML-GVE (Grove) on 134.200 and 133.800
ML-JAH (Jarrah) on 135.800

Reference http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/NOTAMMAPS/INDEX.ASP
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

AO11912 wrote:
Nafenn wrote:you might be able to pick up planes in the area on 135.25 (but you wont hear perth radar), and when i get a chance i'll look around for the melbourne centre frequency thats nearby

Melbourne Center Frequency's out that way are

ML-DAL (Dally) on 125.200
ML-GVE (Grove) on 134.200 and 133.800
ML-JAH (Jarrah) on 135.800

Reference http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/NOTAMMAPS/INDEX.ASP
Uhh... my flying maps say that the nearest melbourne centre freq to there is 122.40... which is the other side of Two rocks

I highly doubt you will get any of those from there
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!