Scanning articles from CB Action, Radio and Comms, etc

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Scanning articles from CB Action, Radio and Comms, etc

Post by Steve »

I'm moving house, but don't want to take too much paper with me so I've been scanning some scanning-related articles (now that's a confusing statement but you know what I mean) I found in some old Amateur Radio Action, CB Action, Radio and Communications and Radiomag magazines from the late 80s, the 90s and the early 2000s.

So far I've scanned and PDFed:

Reviews of the Uniden 780XLT, 760XLT and 9000XLT
Reviews of the Realistic PRO-2005 and 2035
A review of the Yaesu VR-500
A review of the Diamond D130J discone, and
An article titled 'Getting Better Performance From Any Scanner'

They're all a bit dated now, of course, but if anyone's looking for some info on a radio they've obtained second hand, they might be interesting reading. It's also interesting to see how we got our scanning information back in the olden days before this interweb thing was invented!

Just PM me and I can e-mail you a PDF.

I'll keep working through my articles collection and list them here as I scan and PDF them.
rustynswrail

Re: Scanning articles from CB Action, Radio and Comms, etc

Post by rustynswrail »

Steve wrote:I'm moving house, but don't want to take too much paper with me so I've been scanning some scanning-related articles (now that's a confusing statement but you know what I mean) I found in some old Amateur Radio Action, CB Action, Radio and Communications and Radiomag magazines from the late 80s, the 90s and the early 2000s.

........... It's also interesting to see how we got our scanning information back in the olden days before this interweb thing was invented!
As a former author and columnist in some of the magazines you mentioned, I can tell you a lot of hours, both in research and writing went into delivering that scanning information. It was very much done for the love and not the money.

Russell Bryant
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

And I'm glad to be able to make some of your work available to a new audience here. The magazines really were the hub of information back then.

Looking at the old magazines, the other thing you notice is the number of retailers who were in business back then, advertising scanners, amateur gear, antennas and accessories.

I've also now scanned and PDFed:

A review of the Uniden 3000XLT
A review of the Icom IC-R2
A 'Scanning Secrets' column titled 'External antennas - do we really need them?'
A 'retro' review of the AOR AR-1500

Same deal: if anyone's interested, just PM me and I can e-mail you a PDF.
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

Steve wrote:And I'm glad to be able to make some of your work available to a new audience here. The magazines really were the hub of information back then. Looking at the old magazines, the other thing you notice is the number of retailers who were in business back then, advertising scanners, amateur gear, antennas and accessories. I've also now scanned and PDFed: A review of the Uniden 3000XLT A review of the Icom IC-R2
A 'Scanning Secrets' column titled 'External antennas - do we really need them?'
A 'retro' review of the AOR AR-1500 Same deal: if anyone's interested, just PM me and I can e-mail you a PDF.
Steve,

Thats fine, I will send you my address so you can send me a royality cheque. Only joking!

R
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

It's been a real trip back in time going through this stuff. The highlight would have to be a copy of a circa-1986 publication called 'Australian Scanner's World', published by the old Electronics Today International magazine.
rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

Steve wrote:It's been a real trip back in time going through this stuff. The highlight would have to be a copy of a circa-1986 publication called 'Australian Scanner's World', published by the old Electronics Today International magazine.
What you said before is true, there were far more sellers of scanning gear back then, seemed to be dozens. Now its Ebay and two retailers.

I suppose today we have been spoilt, with digital capable, high channel capacity trunking receivers, that can be programmed via a PC and in some cases a GPS interface. Who would have thought it 20 years ago. A 500 channel scanner that had triple conversion and continuous (30 - 500 MHz) coverage was thought to be the 'ants pants'.

Depending on how far your magazine collection goes back, I wrote a piece on my introduction to scanning and my first synthesised scanner, a Bearcat BC210. It had ten channels, only covered 30 MHz no 70 MHz coverage in those days, but I could only find 9 channels to program into it that were of any interest, police channels of course back then.

Mate you are making me feel OLD!

Russell
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

You and me both!

I've also tonight scanned and PDFed

An article from CB Action July/August 1991 about discones
A review of the JIM M-75 pre-amp from 1994
Another review of the Yaesu VR-500, this time from 'Radio and Communications' magazine.

If anyone's interested in seeing what communications magazines contained last century (actually the VR-500 review is from 2001), just PM me and I can e-mail you a PDF.
floppy
Scanners and Receivers: Sangean ATS 818CS

Post by floppy »

rustynswrail wrote:As a former author and columnist in some of the magazines you mentioned, I can tell you a lot of hours, both in research and writing went into delivering that scanning information. It was very much done for the love and not the money.

Russell Bryant
strewfffff that goes back a few years

well as a former reader of R&C mag / radiomag
I enjoyed your articles very much
sad to see it all go down the gurgler

Nev