Signal strength problems

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

phred

Signal strength problems

Post by phred »

Hi all,
Great forum.
I was wondering if someone could give an old hand a couple refreshers?

I have just reconnected up my old Icom PCR1000 to my external antennae via my coax cable (especially made for it years ago), loaded the software on my PC, fired it up only to discover I can recieve bugger all!.
I dialed it up to what I thought was a fairly strong radio station (ABC 720 6WF) and can barely hear the sounds of the presenters etc at all.. this is despite turning up the gain to full.

Can someone spot the obvious and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The only two things i can think of are that my power supply may be the cause - the requirements of the unit are (I think a 13.7V power adaptor) whereas I only have a 12v power adapter. So could the lack of volt and bit cause a problem?

Would a slightly corroded bayonet fitting be the cause?

Was really hoping to tune into the Red Bull circuit in the city (I live in Dianella so thought it close enough).

Any suggestions and assistance most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Signal strength problems

Post by Zebedee »

G'day Dave,

Bit hard to know - but your mention of a corroded fitting could certainly explain at least some of the problem.

If you can get a new fitting, errrrr ... fitted ;) Then it may help. It's useful to do anyway, can't hurt.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
phred

Re: Signal strength problems

Post by phred »

Thanks Doug,
Will give it a try - aerial maintenance is one thing I can do quite well :o)
Cheers,
Dave