Meteor Obs

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

meteorobs
Scanners and Receivers: Aor5000

Meteor Obs

Post by meteorobs »

Hi All,

Over the past few weeks I have been observing TV stations from near Adelaide and Cootmundra. I have seen in the last few days what I strongly believe are meteor signals.
There are some interesting looking things I can't explain however and I am hoping there are some hams out who may have experience to share.
1) I can dial up 57.25 on my receiver and see a pretty strong carrier from Wirrabarra(abour 2000kms) away. I have done on a number of days. Is this unusual? Is ducting in the bite part of the reason I can see it from so far away?
2) Is there a way of identifying the TV transmitter from the carrier signal ?
If anyone can help me with these questions or has some related info or experience to share, I would be grateful...
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Meteor Obs

Post by robbage »

meteorobs wrote:Is ducting in the bite part of the reason I can see it from so far away?
Ducting or Sporatic-E propagation at that frequency. There was quite a bit of long distance stuff happening on Ham VHF a week or two ago. Eastern states stations were reporting contact with WA FM repeaters around 146 MHz as well as SSB around 144 MHz. We also have a band from 50 to 54 MHz but I haven't heard what's happening down there. Probably something if 57 MHz was lifting.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Meteor Obs

Post by Blinky »

Have a look at http://www.vklogger.com. There's quite a bit of information there about distant TV signals. Reporting TV carriers is a good indication of possible signals and how the conditions are on 6m. When someone logs a TV station it shows up on the graphic map so all can see. Also have a look at the forum as there is a bit in there about TV signals.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.