136-174MHz Range n00b questions

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

hellspice
Scanners and Receivers: wouxun KG-UVD1P

136-174MHz Range n00b questions

Post by hellspice »

Hi, I purchased a Wouxun KG-UVD1P hand held that has the 136-174MHz rang, now im pretty new to this and i have manged to program the UHF CB channels etc, but is there anything to good or interesting to add from the 136-174MHz Range ? beside the marine channels.
I have seen references weather satelites etc but no actual frequancies, any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly apreciated.
Ohh im in Canberra,
Cheers
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: 136-174MHz Range n00b questions

Post by Zebedee »

hellspice wrote:Hi, I purchased a Wouxun KG-UVD1P hand held that has the 136-174MHz rang, now im pretty new to this and i have manged to program the UHF CB channels etc, but is there anything to good or interesting to add from the 136-174MHz Range ? beside the marine channels.
I have seen references weather satelites etc but no actual frequancies, any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly apreciated.
Ohh im in Canberra,
Cheers
G'day hellspice,

I've looked up the specs of that radio, which can be found here.

As this radio is a transceiver - i.e. it can both transmit and receive, you may want to be careful about what frequencies you program into it as the Radiocommunications Act 1992 has some fairly severe penalties for posessing a radio which could be used to transmit on frequencies that you aren't licenced to operate on...

You may be able to use the radio as a UHF CB radio only, if that radio meets the appropriate Australian Standard that's applicable to UHF CB transceivers...

My recommendation would be to acquire a scanner rather than a transceiver. You're less likely to find yourself on the wrong side of the law that way.

Regards,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
hellspice
Scanners and Receivers: wouxun KG-UVD1P

Post by hellspice »

Hi Zebedee,
Thanks for the warnings.
Does this mean the radio is illegal even if i dont program in the transmit frequancies ?. I had an older unit for about a year and half now, for the non public uhf channels i had the transmit frequancies set to a public use channel just incase someone\myself tried to transmit on them.
I use the radio for 4wd, camping and fishing so so having a combined unit sold me on the idea.
Thanks again
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

hellspice wrote:Hi Zebedee,
Thanks for the warnings.
Does this mean the radio is illegal even if i dont program in the transmit frequancies ?. I had an older unit for about a year and half now, for the non public uhf channels i had the transmit frequancies set to a public use channel just incase someone\myself tried to transmit on them.
I use the radio for 4wd, camping and fishing so so having a combined unit sold me on the idea.
Thanks again
I honestly don't know, I've got no legal training at all.

But I did note that the legislation made mention of merely posessing a radio that was capable of transmitting, rather than the actual action of transmitting. It's something you'd have to seek legal advice about if you wanted a 100% correct answer. But what I read was enough to make me very very cautious...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.